attitude on lunging

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by brl_rcr72, May 13, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

They have a show series right next to my barn, but I am leary of the footing in it. Appears to have lots of rocks in the warm up arena and my favorite class, trail, is on very uneven ground with grass weeds. So I just go and watch friends show.

2. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Not to be an arse or anything, but isn't that the type of ground you'd be on for real life trails...? Or am I missing something?

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Show trail is not much like real trail riding... it is mostly western pleasure over poles. It is fun, don't get me wrong. I love it. But, it is very very precise and will include things like pinwheels and raised poles. For me I don't really want to also contend with uneven ground :) Though we have shown at one place that has trail outside, and it was very nice on the grass: shady and made for lovely pics.

Alsosusieq2 and Circle C like this.
  4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Example of me doing a trail course.

Also, my horse tore his deep flexor tendon when he was four and that foot will always be a bit weak.

[video]

kodemiester likes this.
  5. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Senior Member+

bellalou likes this.
  6. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

See, longeing to me and whether a horse plays on the line or not, is such a non-issue. Both of my horses will play for the first 2 minutes and that's it.....and they stay ON the circle with no pulling. At a show, I'll longe the first day, ride...then after that....no more longeing. Today, I longed Sidney for 15 minutes...he played, stretched out etc.....no big deal. So what IS the big deal.

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

OP specifically said attitude, not silliness or playing. If the horse is allowed to get away with attitude, it could get worse and become dangerous. Nip attitude in the bud early before he begins charging you or kicking up heels.

Attitude is different than play.

8. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

I agree with @endurgirl . The horse is just lazy and doesn't want to have to work so she's trying to scare his owner off by giving her/him aggressive signals such as pinning ears, shaking head etc.
    Whenever your horse shows you an aggresive sign make him work harder or make him uncomfortable.
    If he pins his ears and shakes his head at you while you are lunging him jerk your lead rope and snap him out of it.
    If he is lazy, shakes his head and refuses to go when you try to send him off in a circle start tapping him on the neck with your whip make each tap harder than the one before. Once he does what you want Immediately release the tapping from your whip. When your horse shows you and aggressive sign he is tested you and each time you let him get away with it next time the behavior will be worse.
    Could not agree more!!!!!