attitude on lunging

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by brl_rcr72, May 13, 2018.

1. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

So not so much looking for advice on a situation but more opinions. If you have a horse that is "sassy" and shakes and flings its head when lunging (not like running in at you) just a lot of attitude...how do you correct/discipline it?

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

First I make sure that the horse doesn't have a legitimate complaint, like problems with the equipment or asking more than the horse is reasonably able to do. Then in general I make sure I don't make a horse sour by boring it and doing too much of the same thing day in day out.

If what I request is reasonable, the horse is a bit fresh or just tries if it can make a fuss, I just ignore behaviour like this.

ChestersMomma likes this.
  3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Make him move faster.

ParkedOut and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

For my horses that always meant they needed that lunge to get the play out.

ChestersMomma and GotaDunQH like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't correct or discipline it. I want the horse to get a chance to get out and move around. Why would I discipline him for shaking his head?

Longeing allows the horse to play and have fun for a little while. Anything that isn't going to hurt him or me, fine.

If my longeing plan is right for the horse, after 10 or 15 minutes he'll be a little more focused. That's all I'd expect for a single day.

If the horse is just having a tough day, like he's a youngster at his first show and he's facing a lot of unfamiliar noise and bustle .. again, not going to discipline him. I want him to look around and feel unconstrained. He's going to do lousy in a couple classes until he gets used to the environment. Disciplining him for shaking his head is just going to create more tension. Counter-productive.

I want the horse to be really forward, so disciplining him for being frisky is not something I'm going to do.

LOL...I watched a professional European dressage trainer longe and ride a very young horse, just broke..I think many folks here would have had a fit with what he 'allowed' the horse to do, lol. Seems to work very well, though.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    MuckMuck likes this.
  6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I don’t. I just keep directing the horse. They stop within a few minutes usually.

secuono likes this.
  7. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I don't react to head shaking on the lunge. Just get the horse moving forward and it will stop.

Charm being an Arab has her head tossing moments. It's usually when something is different in her mind. Like an open gate (usually closed) or extra jump in the arena. Or the one mounting block that gets moved often. That one is clearly evil and possessed.

Trying to correct it only makes it worse IMHO.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

There are horses that lunge without sass and attitude!? Hmmm.... me and Bella need to have a talk... :cautious:

9. spec

spec Full Member

My mare is such a sassy pants on the lunge line!! As long as she’s not pulling me around and being blatantly disrespectful, I let her play :)

BossMare16, GONE ROPING and Arem like this.
  10. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

The reason I lunge (single line) is to see how the horse feels. I can assess the horse’s movement, warm up their muscles prior to getting on, and check their emotional thermostat. For me it’s a two way conversation. If I want to know how my horse is feeling, disciplining them for telling me how they feel isn’t going to promote open dialogue. The only ‘rules’ I enforce are that they aren’t allowed to tow me around the arena or disrespect my space. Everything else is fair play.

Some days we do hot laps with our head in the air. Other days we go around smoothly and stretch over the back. The purpose of the exercise is to allow me to gather information before I put my foot in the stirrup. There are days when I don’t get on because I can see it will end in disaster. And there are days where I get on after two circles in each direction because I’m happy with what I see. I think it’s important to give your horse an opportunity to show you exactly how they’re feeling. You’d be surprised what they’ll tell you if you take the time to listen.

MuckMuck, mooselady and GONE ROPING like this.