At what point is a colt a cryptorchid

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RusticR, Sep 19, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't really think it's funny. There are a lot of unwanted Frankenfoals out there.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

^^ this. I would always err on the side of extreme caution with my mares. That'd be wise.

3. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Yes because my AQHA pointed in 5 events all around mare and my all around AQHA colt with world champion bloodlines within TWO generations would produce an unwanted frankenfoal. PUHLEASE. How about you pull your head out of the sand and admit you’re grasping desperately at straws here.

I wouldn’t get too excited on the name game though. I don’t think your baby velociraptor is going to happen.

4. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

He’s been separated from the mares when they’ve gone into heat since March. We are being exceptionally cautious moreso because I don’t want him developing any unwanted studdy behaviors that he might keep post gelding

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

All the vet books say if they don't drop shortly after birth they are crypt. All the vets I work with are normally not concerned until 1.5yr

6. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

I didn’t meet him though until he was 7 months old. Breeder doesn’t check to see if the testicles are dropped as a baby. Ugh! Right!

7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

@RusticR it's super frustrating. I remember when I had gotten my colt home (a 3000mile journey) I had the after thought about seeing if he was a crypt... I shoved my hands up there super fast and his eyes grew huge and he was super upset haha.
    I would say, if he hasnt dropped, I would try to geld him in Feb. Like you said (I think) you were going to do. The older the horse, the more possibilities of something bad happening during surgery

8. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you right now.

My colt Indie that I bought afrom across the country last year is now a 1.5 years old and only one of his goods has dropped.

I hopeful since that wasn't even there until the last couple of weeks.

Anyone have a rough idea what a surgery would cost? I know it might be based on how far it is up there.

9. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

I was quoted $600-$1000 depending on how far up they are from a teaching hospital and regular vet hospital it was $800-$2000. This is for a unilateral cryptorchid since I know he has the one. We palpated it under sedation this spring.

This was IF they didn’t have to go searching for an underdeveloped testicle. Price goes up if they have to do major abdominal surgery. Ugh.

None of these hospitals are within 2 hours of me either. I live in MI.

Puddincup likes this.
  10. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Sometimes,when their sedated,they'll drop