At what point is a colt a cryptorchid

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RusticR, Sep 19, 2018.

1. txgray

txgray Senior Member

I have seen some VERY studdish yearlings and 2yos before, it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility. Shoot, at the last show I took my yearling to, the other colt in the class was so bad that everyone had to clear the ingate of fillies before he could even be led out of the ring. I kind of couldn't believe they've kept it a colt, if he's already that bad as a yearling.

Mine has been slow to drop too, although he's always had the one testicle. The other finally dropped when he was about a year, but the inguinal ring was still quite open and there was a lot of communication, so we opted to wait until this winter (once the flies are gone) to geld him, in the hope that it tightens up a bit more. Mine is currently 18 months and 15.2h. Not studdish either, although I definitely DO NOT turn him out with or next to mares. My vet said that whatever they've got by 18 months to 2 years is usually all you're gonna get, due to the inguinal ring/size of testicles/testosterone. If you've got NOTHING so far, I dunno that you're gonna get them to drop on their own.

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Well bless your heart.

Remember the scene in Jurassic Park where Jeff Goldblum says, "nature will find a way"? And then the scene after that when he said, "nature FOUND a way"?

Again, word to the wise, the amount of 'studdiness', challenging fences and screaming a colt does does NOT indicate whether he is fertile or not. Nor does the number of times you look out in the pasture and do not see him with his front legs around your mare's back.

3. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

We aren’t exactly talking about dna splicing and genetic engineering here.

If next summer one of the mares pops out a baby velociraptor I will happily hop back on here and you can bless it if you’d like.

Like I said. I’m not worried about it. The mares are excellent for teaching him manners and I’m 100% sure as of today neither mare will be popping out a surprise next year.

ll

4. slc

slc Senior Member

You know, that is EXACTLY what my friend said!

She wound up with her two young mares pregnant and not at all to the stallion she would have chosen, plus a dead 22 year old mare - ruptured uterine arteries trying to deliver a foal.

The 22 year old mare was the one she was MOST sure wouldn't let her colt mount and would 'kick the daylights out of him if he but tried.'

You put an ungelded colt in a field with mares, you get pregnant mares. No we are not talking about dna splicing and genetic engineering at all here, but nice try. We're talking about you put an ungelded colt in a field with mares, odds are they wind up pregnant.

palimino57 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I would consider anything older than 18 months a cryptorchid. Fertility in the double non descended horse goes way down from the internal temperature but they have still been known to get mares pregnant….and once you notice that they are acting like a stud out in the field …well then with a colt over a year old… then its usually a little to late.

Alsosusieq2 and txgray like this.
  6. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

See,that's how I got Jessy..Idjet owner put show mare in the pasture with 4 yearling stallions "They ain't old enough to do nutthin'" Well,they -or one of them - did,and she did and there was this foal that I was given "because she's so ugly and kin to everything on the place" Yeah,she was ugly. Weaned at 3 months and thrown in a pasture,root hog or die..

manesntails and slc like this.
  7. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

I agree!! But you fail to realize that these mares aren’t in with an ungelded colt during any point when they could conceive. They are pulled out several days before their heat cycle through several days after.

That’s why I’m not concerned. Not that I think he would never try to mount them because I don’t see him acting studdy. Not because I think they would never let him mount them because they are witchy mares. Not because I believe my vet when she says 99.8% of colts with undescended testicles are infertile. Only because he’s never. Not once. Ever. Been out with a mare in heat.

8. slc

slc Senior Member

You fail to realize that that is not a perfect system!

But I'm worn out from slapping my head on a brick wall.

9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I had one colt gelded. He was sold as a gelding, we checked, no nuts. He was supposedly three, nearly 4. He was also skin and bones, almost dead.

Surprise! 6 months later, when he had some weight gained, he dropped. He was also younger than stated, just 3 then.

I'm assuming it was weight/fat that he needed, that his body was just trying to survive at that point.

Any which way, here's a story about a three year old that dropped normally and was gelded without an issue.

10. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Totally agreed. My head hurts.

How about this. Next year when we get a baby velociraptor I’ll let you name it.