at what age should i breed my cow

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buddytink, Jul 10, 2009.

1. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

how old should my cow be before i breed her?? I heard a year and a half, but is that how old they should be before you breed them or how old they should be when they have their first calf?:confused:

2. Bluegirl_13601

Bluegirl_13601 Senior Member

they shouldn't have a calf before they are 2 but as to when to breed them can really depend on what breed they are how big they are, but most are big enough at a year and a half

3. satinzevi

satinzevi Senior Member+

what breed is it? Brahman-influenced heifers mature later. Basically, you breed when she's 65% of her mature weight so she'll be 85% of her mature weight when she calves.

4. doublebarr

doublebarr Senior Member+

Our heifers (commercial) get bulls turned out with them when they are 15 months old, to calve out at 2. We also use low EDP bulls (low birth weight) so they have an easier time calving.

We've had heifers we bought as yearlings from the sale barn as stockers (not to be in the breeding herd, but raised specifically for the feedlot) calve out when they turn 16-18 months and it is almost never good. Way to young and not only do they have a hard time maternally, but they have a hard time calving at all.

5. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

my cow is a jersey/beef cross, dont know what kinda beef cow tho. Right now she looks more like a cow instead of a calf, she's really fat and healthy, but she's seems short. Im 5 foot tall and if i stand by her, her head comes to about the bottom of my chest/upper abdomin. LOL if that helps any.