At a loss....

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Marie2018, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Marie2018

Marie2018 Registered

Hello,
    I have a mare who is 24 she has in her older years struggled with weight gain and always had sore feet but has been ok.
    On August 14th she went through some fencing causing hoof damage and some pretty good lacerations, she reacts poorly to bute (gi) so we gave IV banamine and put her on banamine for 3 days twice a day and 2 days once a day. We also gave uniprim 37.5g once a day for 5 days.
    After starting this she started having diarrhea on the 2nd or 3rd day in. My vet thought it was from the flora being wipped out. So we for a month fed the other horses poop (healthy horse) and upped her beat pulp. No changed and she became lame again.
    I had a different vet out and we found a hoof abscess and she recommended platinum GI she has been on that for a few weeks now as well as horse gaurd (omeprazole) and still no change.

I am at 100% of a loss, she is ok otherwise and happy but I dont find it ok to suffer this way. As of right now her feeding is as follows:
    AM
    Mix of senior feed (just enough for meds) gastricshield, weight builder (max dose), platinum GI and a small amount of molasses to mix all together. Then once she finishes that she is given a tub of beat pulp and barley pellets .

She has free choice 1st cutting alfalfa (best I could find) and freechoice 2nd cutring grass. She also has free choice natural salt block.

PM
    Then at night she gets her gastrogaurd and another tub of beat pulp/ barley.

Right now shes off NSAIDS / ABO / Pain meds. Im currently soaking her left foot every other day and salting her right foot every other day (due to abscess / wounds).

She had her teeth done in Feb, bloodwork of a CBC and complete panel in Feb then another complete panel less then a month ago (all normal). She had a full fecal parasite analysis ran and was negative and I dewormed her regardless to be safe.

I have tried horse gaurd vitamines and dynamite TNT vitamines and never saw a difference. The platinum GI has probios and biosponge in it and is supposed to be helping with her diarrhea but ive seen no improvement.

Her stool is stinky and cowpie like. I'm worried about going into winter this way and I feel like I'm struggling to get help. I'm at a loss

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

What weight builder is she getting and what is the max dose?
    How long has she been on the Platinum GI now? Was there any change in her stool before and after?

3. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

My guess is hindgut ulcers. Get some Equishure from KER.

Marie2018 and ginster like this.
  4. Marie2018

Marie2018 Registered

Shes on farnam weight builder and its 2 scoops (not sure of the % of each thing). Shes been on it for 3 years and has been ok.
    No changes in her stool on the platinum GI she's been on it about 2 or 3 weeks now. Honestly maybe they are a little more loose if anything.

5. Marie2018

Marie2018 Registered

Shes on farnam weight builder and its 2 scoops (not sure of the % of each thing). Shes been on it for 3 years and has been ok.
    No changes in her stool on the platinum GI she's been on it about 2 or 3 weeks now. Honestly maybe they are a little more loose if anything.

6. Marie2018

Marie2018 Registered

Wouldnt the omeprazole help that?

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Has there been any culture of gut flora, any ultrasound to see if she has colitis, any culturing of her uterus?

ginster likes this.
  8. Marie2018

Marie2018 Registered

No....no one seems concerned :( these are good ideas though thank you!

ginster likes this.
  9. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

Welcome Marie2018,
    I am sorry to hear of your difficulties with your mare. It can be very frustrating to pinpoint what the problem is.
    Just trying to sum up your concerns, you have an older mare with ongoing foul diarrhea, and an abcess on one foot. You mentioned that she has had tender feet for some time.
    When I look at her feed it appears quite rich to me. By that I mean there is a high starch and straight up sugar (molasses) content. I would expect tender feet on this kind of diet for many horses. It is a delicate balance to try to get enough into the horse to help them gain yet keep the starch/sugar low enough for healthy feet.
    No idea about the diarrhea tho. Good luck.
    I have included this link to better explain the link between tender hooves and sugar/starch.
    Disclaimer: I am not promoting shoes or not, just a quick search brought up this very readable article to better explain how diet affects hooves.
    Dietary Sugar and the Hoof

ginster and Marie2018 like this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am wondering if she is getting too much (flaxseed, etc.) with both the weight builder and the Platinum GI? Maybe it was too much too quickly for her? Maybe she is still adjusting to the changes in her feed. Three weeks isn't much.

Marie2018 likes this.