Arthrocentesis and Nasolacrimal Duct Flush

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CarlisleChipper, Feb 13, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Today Henry beat the record on his vet bill.
    When I went to feed this morning I saw his eye had drainage. No big deal right? Well later on at about 11am I went out to get him so we could go to the barn to ride and get his feet done. His eye looks terrible now, squinty, more leaking. This was all a distraction because when I went to lead him he could hardly walk! It turns out as he was rubbing his eye on his leg to wipe away the tears he stuck his hoof through the fence and set back. :( Way to go Grace. Way to ensure your immediate vet care for your eye! Thank goodness for his thick rubber bell boots or else this could have been so much worse. His bell boots now have a hole in them and need replacing.
    After cleaning it up there was an injury to the coronary band. His vet was pretty sure it was just superficial but she pressurized the coffin bone joint just to be sure. I had never heard of this procedure until today. Afterward she took care of his eye ducts and prescribed an antibiotic ointment since he scratched his eye on something.

My valentine gave me a huge vet bill for Valentine’s Day. We also have our first show on the 23rd. He will be off for a week so we are unsure if he will be sound enough to attend by then. We will just wait and see. We were supposed to go XC schooling at the show grounds tomorrow, but alas I am cursed when it comes to that. (Perpetually cancelled) I am very glad he got a tetanus booster today. He is also on oral antibiotics in addition to the one for his eye.
    This adventure spurred me to finally throw together a wash rack at home. So there is that at least. The offending junk fence has been removed and replaced. EDD8290D-82EC-42E9-8A8B-502C450F8125.jpeg 6B46E5E9-2234-4797-B085-8EE060971C1C.jpeg CA60AF96-0DBE-45D6-A442-701D49C8CBF1.jpeg 858888F9-4D49-4EBA-B4BC-A5BBAFD45EC3.jpeg A253D3EE-35FF-4413-A50C-144817F0BE5A.jpeg A22D4E13-6DBB-496E-B37C-070703937F1E.jpeg 51DD691F-5422-4B44-BB74-98DE30F4BCA2.jpeg

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh "record" is such a difficult word.

It was about 2 grand to have my pony's eye removed if the diagnosis is included. About 1600, I believe, when my mare got cast. There was a choke that was 1200, along in there somewhere. Teeth surgery, that I think was around 600, so a 'real bargain.'

It's been an extremely expensive last few years.

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Oh Henry ! Glad hes ok. I also see your t posts are not capped. Thats not a fun possibility either. I would deal with that asap.

ginster and CarlisleChipper like this.
  4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Very glad the old gate broke to get his foot loose. They find the worst ways to get extra attention. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

ginster and CarlisleChipper like this.
  5. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Glad he is ok!! My 30 year old got his foot caught and pulled back as well and was lame (he was pawing and squealing when I brought ghost home) we have coated wire so he had some give - and I was pretty sure he just had muscle injuries so he got bite for a few days and is back to normal.

Happy valentine's day!

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Where are you with all that dry dirt?

7. CarlisleChipper

La Vernia Texas! We live on beach sand and coastal pastures. Zero mud!

8. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Sorry to hear this!
    I just wanted to share a picture of a t cap injury on a clients horse, since another member mentioned it. The clients horse is a stoic mare and she didn’t realize something was immediately wrong. It was about two inches deep and required stitches. She has a lump of scar tissue now, but is otherwise fine. They will always get into something, but it’s our responsibility to keep them as safe as possible.

Attached Files:

ginster likes this.
  9. CarlisleChipper

Just popping in to give an update on his injury.
    This was Day 2. Vet had said to keep it wrapped with vet wrap and antibiotic ointment, change once a day.
    2960AFD8-043B-45CA-8E58-32517C97EC81.jpeg

The vet wrap kept creeping up his foot and the integrity was questionable. I’m sure I’m not the best at it but trying to be cognizant of an appropriate wrap tension while minimizing the risk of constricting blood flow is a fine line to tread. I cut the bandage off this morning as it had once again come unseated. I let the wound air out today and now it has a nice scab which Henry was proud to show me today. Gladly stuck his foot out and said LOOK LADY I made a scab for you! I was hoping to be put on call so I could take him to the show grounds with everyone tomorrow just to get him used to the surroundings (no riding), but alas here I am at work.
    2B317EEB-F91B-4B21-99B1-66FC084569CE.jpeg

Fingers crossed he is sound 7 days post injury so we can get some final schooling in before the show on Saturday. I will have no problem scratching if there is any inkling that he is uncomfortable.

Alsosusieq2 and doublelranch like this.
  10. CarlisleChipper

B04A3B03-FC40-4483-B76B-1D742B94C95F.jpeg
    That was yesterday. He gets shod today. He was due last Wednesday but he got hurt that day. We also have a lesson in an hour. Fingers crossed he is sound!

ginster likes this.