Arthritis? What can I do?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Krystan, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Krystan

Krystan Full Member

I think my older mare is getting arthritis. :( :mad: What can I do to help her. :confused: I don't really want to buy a bunch of expensive products but if that's what she needs, she'll get it. :) wink :p She's out to pasture 24/7 unless extreme bad weather. (She has a shed and a sheet) And I give her long warm ups and try to walk her before the farrier comes. :) I've also tried streching. Is ther anything else I should do. help!

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

How old is she?

3. RubySlipper

RubySlipper Senior Member

I would talk to your vet about joint suppliments and or adaquan. Also if the arthritis is in particular joints you might want to consider having those joints injected like the hocks for example.

4. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

the key to arthritis is keeping her supple, talk to your vet definately. keep her regularly exercised, a little every day if possibly or she'll seize up inbetween rides. Dont stand her out in the extreme cold but try and keep her in the pasture as much as possible so she is moving around a lot.
    I find cod liver oil helps a horses joints a lot. Also dont let her stand around wet, dry her thoroughly if she gets wet on a ride or in the pasture.
    Lou

5. babs

babs Senior Member

Some of the horses at my yard with arteritis or DJD get "Super Codlivine" - 'Supple joint supplement' £16 for 2.5kg. or Codliveroil and Cider Vinegar.

There are products made by a company called Day Son and Hewitt called Feel Good 30 and there are a selection of products made by them -mobility and joint supplements.

Thereis also some thing called 'No Bute' its a liquid herb supplement and contains no banned substances. Its £15 a litre.

Checking my vet books there is of course bute and various other suggstions.

Keeping an older horse dry and warm will help as if they are cold or wet this seems to agravaite it.

We use bute in a powder form in bad cases to give the horse relief but the older horse i used to share did very well on the super codlivine and cider vinegar and regular gentle exercise.

Hope this helps.
    Let me know how you get on. wink

6. Krystan

Krystan Full Member

She is 18 and her arthritis isn't bad but it has become more noticeable. I will talk to my vet about that stuff. She gets ridden 5 days a week and has 2 off unlesss she is confined for some reason. But it's fairly warm down here so they don't go in much. :cool:

7. H/J Princess

H/J Princess Full Member

Fluid Action made a huge difference in my horses - it has a lot of "stuff" (I'd need the bottle to list everything) in it that works really well. I've tried powdered supps but they don't seem to have the same effect. Also, massages can loosen up a stiff horse - it doesn't directly relate to the joints but always makes a horse feel better.

8. Krystan

Krystan Full Member

Wow, thanks. I'll try the massage too.

9. horse_crazy

horse_crazy Senior Member

Cosequin is what we give our mare, she is 24 and has arthritis in two or three of her legs. Our vet had it tested to make sure all of the good, important stuff was in it when he had used it on his horse,he suggested that we use it on our mare and it works great! We also gave our mare Legend. She is walking SO much better now, and she is in-foal!!

10. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

I use B-L solution (formerly Bute-less)
    No side effects and works great on my 21 year old Appaloosa.
    Cost- qt. $13.85
    gal. $44.95
    5.25gal.199.95
    3 day supply 5.95