Arthritis and shoeing

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by NikkiBlaze14, Aug 11, 2017.

1. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

I know this, really I do...which is why I asked for advice and some Information.

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Which is shoeing her only every 3 months or so????????

What about the other horses living there?

manesntails likes this.
  3. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

That's my guess. I'm usually not there in time to see what he does with her only with my two horses.
    I'm not sure about the other 3 horses as they are down the road at the other facility. I'm guessing he lays more attention to them since they are actively working as therapy horses. However I do agree that he shouldn't just put her aside Because she's old and retired, but I feel like he is. I feel like he is slacking and cutting corners with her

4. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

I don't even know why they retired him from the program. Why can he no longer be used in therapeutic activities that don't include riding?

Handicapped people and children petting and grooming him with supervision is not hard on the joints. Is he living at that place all alone, without other horses?

manesntails likes this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

If the farrier is doing this with her feet, I doubt very seriously your horses' feet look much better.

NikkiBlaze14 and Arem like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Hold up, this sounds like, from the repeated use of the word “he“, that you are blaming the farrier: “he gives them more attention because they are working“.

It isn't up to the farrier to deciide who gets trimmed and who doesn't. The OWNER has the farrier do the horses and if they are telling this farrier to do whatever horse NEEDS done, the farrier would be doing this one just as regularly as the others.

So, logically, the owners are not having this horse done regularly BECAUSE it's retired. The owner is responsible for neglecting this horse's feet, not the farrier. The farrier doesn't come onto your property, trim whatever horses he sees fit to trim, then tell you he decided a certain number of horses needed done, now pay me, does he?

Lopinslow likes this.
  7. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

I'm blaming him because it's his job to do his job. He is supposed to know better than we are right? She is trusting in him to take care of her horses and believes him because she doesn't know any better. Frankly I don't know any better either, but coming sense was telling me something wasn't right.
    It is his job to take care of their feet and do what needs done because we don't know what he is supposed to know. That's how I look at it. Does that make sense or am I just being unreasonable?

8. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

No she is with our two. They are all out together

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You are blaming the farrier to save yourself from blaming people that you love. It's called “transference“.
    You transfer your anger to others to avoid anger toward the person you care about.

No, IF your relatives told the farrier to “take care of whatever horses feet need attention.“ believe me, he would be taking care of this horse too. It is much more likely that they don't want to spend the money. Farriers don't turn down trimming a horse they are going to get paid for.

10. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

First, good for you for not getting rid of an old lady bones baby. It sounds like she worked hard most of her life and deserves some peace and quiet.

I know this might be uncomfortable for you but your aunt really needs to step up to the plate if this is her horse and either get a new farrier or inform the current one that they need to do better. At 23 she could also probably benefit from previcox which is fairly inexpensive and most vets are happy to prescribe it for old lady bones. I bet with some pain management and new tooties this horse could really enjoy her retirement.

Arem and NikkiBlaze14 like this.