Arthritis and shoeing

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by NikkiBlaze14, Aug 11, 2017.

1. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

This would be my game plan. Make an appt with the vet for x-rays and Previcox. Get a farrier refferal from the vet. Farrier's working through vets are thorough and will not cut corners.

If the horse is in pain, she may not be such a wonderful horse for the farrier to shoe. It may be too time consuming if he has 30 more head to trim and shoe by the end of the day. I have seen farriers pass due to time restraints, and this is a busy time of year for them.

First this thread blamed a crappy farrier, and then blamed the owner for not making said crappy farrier do his job. All of this finger pointing is useless in helping OP help this horse which does not even belong to her.

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

But a good trim is what you need to determine what kind of symptoms it really has.

Arem and NikkiBlaze14 like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

You don't know how to trim a lame horse with an unknown problem, unless you have xrays. I would not touch a thing til those xrays were on the table, but I'd get the xrays quick.

Xrays are cheap these days. Portable machine, vet comes out, a couple minutes, xrays are available in digital format.

4. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

I'm going to talk with the owner today and see what she thinks. I also contacted another farrier last night because I think I don't want to have any issues with my two horses and by the looks of the feet of the other horses I'm uncomfortable with him doing any more to my two.
    Thank you for saying what i, apparently was not able to get through lol thanks for understanding!

doublelranch likes this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

As a barn owner, I sometimes need to have a conversation with a client about their horse, I have found an aproch that works without causing a lot of upset goes something like this...I am having the Vet out in a couple of weeks to check on one of my horses, I have noticed that your horse is having A lot of increase in her discomfort, It is really hurting my heart to see her struggle as I care about both of you, since I am already paying for the Vet call would you be willing to come and have the examine your mate as well and so that they can give any suggestions on how to make her last days more comfortable ? If often helps if the Vet says this is an issue that must be dealt with.

You also need to be prepared that the vets suggestion may be equioxx and a farrier plan or it may be that the arthritis is so bad that the Vet may feel it would be a blessing to this mare to take away all of her pain and say good bye. You need to be prepared to be a strong comfort to your Aunt as many times owners are in denial as to how bad the problem is e abuse it is too emotionally painful for them to deal with. They still see this animal as the beautiful strong horse that it was.

I hope you are able to have the conversation and help this mare feel better.

6. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

Thank you so much! I truly believe this is right. I know something needs done. I will have updates after we talk with her.

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Again, that won't be known until the horse actually receives a good trim. And even if a good trim doesn't take away all pain, it will remove MOST of it.

Most of what gets diagnosed "navicular" is not true navicular. A horse can have "navicular" symptoms and not have navicular. It's more common than horses having true navicular.

NikkiBlaze14 likes this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Exactly.
    Of course a horse with feet like that is going to be in pain! The trim needs to be fixed in order to know if the horse's pain is just coming from the poor shape the feet are in or if the hooves being so unbalanced has caused perminant damage (like true navicular).

NikkiBlaze14 likes this.
  9. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the horse doesn't actually have navicular, the frogs are all smushed and look like they probably have wicked sulcus thrush. Those underrun heels are pretty extreme. I can see thrush under one of the shoes, which is kind of scary, it can get into the nail holes, or into the white line easily (ask me how I know and how I just switched farriers because of these issues) and having shoes on it make it difficult to treat it properly. I'm glad you're looking at a new farrier. Just saying, if the guy is coming out and does all her horses when needed as expected, I'm concerned for the rest of them. When our barn farrier comes, he does the crippled oldies FIRST because they have the hardest time standing for trim and shoeing and they all live outside so he does them early in the day before it gets hot.

NikkiBlaze14 likes this.
  10. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

So she said she is going to tun it by the farrier..she believes it is still the arthritis and not necessarily the feet. I'm going to be sure I'm there the next time he is out to question why her feet are in such bad shape and why she walks like a ballerina because if it where indeed arthritic pain in her knees she would have a whole body hobble, not walking as if she were on hot coals. Updates to come...unless I forget. I have a 17mo old who takes up most if not all of my energy lol

Arem, froglander and Dona Worry like this.