Arthritis and shoeing

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by NikkiBlaze14, Aug 11, 2017.

1. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

Money is of no issue here that I can assure. Once again, the assumptions are wrong. You don't know this person and I'm not defending her because she is family. She pays him to do whatever needs done. No questions asked. Never blinks an eye about how much something costs especially when it comes to the care and well being of her animals. She pays him to use his expertise and knowledge to do what he believes needs to be done. If he says they look ok than she agrees because she isn't going to question someone who has way more knowledge and has gone to school for this. Call it naive if you want but I can assure you if she were to believe, or know there was a problem she would not let it go.
    I how will be questioning him the next time he is out.

2. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

I agree she needs to step up and be more... assertive and confident.
    Previcox is a great joint supplement and I'm not sure if she has ever used it but I will mention it to her. We have given it to our old dog before we needed to put her to sleep. It worked wonders. I got in contact with another farrier last night.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Glad things are looking up! Let us know how it goes.

NikkiBlaze14 likes this.
  4. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

How many of you think she has navicular? I'm pretty sure she does and I'm willing to bet money. So with navicular it's basically degeneration of the navicular bone right? And because it causes pain in the heels the horse walks more on the toes which causes rotation of the pedal bone?
    I'm just asking to see if I'm correct in my facts or not before I question this guy with way more experience than me lol

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

There is no way to know if she's navicular or not without xrays. Anyone who diagnoses her that without xrays showing boney changes is a fool. Straight up. Unless they are Superman and have X-ray vision they have no way of knowing.

Her heel pain and toe first landing can absolutely be caused solely by the extremely poor condition of her feet and the thrush. Eliminate the thrush, get the feet barefoot and trimmed better, and if she's still having trouble X-ray the feet to see if there are any changes to the bones.

Faster Horses and NikkiBlaze14 like this.
  6. NikkiBlaze14

NikkiBlaze14 Full Member

I put some thrush buster on it yesterday. I will continue it daily, well I will ask that it be continued daily since I'm not able to be there daily. Thank you!

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

*Raises hand*

Horse lands toe first and has contracted heels.

NikkiBlaze14 likes this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Both of which can exist without navicular. Literally cannot tell without X-rays.

Sam C. and NikkiBlaze14 like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can tell by the way the horse shows pain and by experience from taking everything else into consideration.

Just a good trim isn't likely to have this horse pain free.
    Believe me.

NikkiBlaze14 and bobo and horses like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Walking on heels in and of itself does not cause rotation(In laminitis the bone rotates because the tissues supporting it are actually damaged by the laminitis process, like a hammock whose strings are cut with a knife). And navicular is usually accompanied by or may consist solely of, changes to the soft tissues around and attached to navicular bone.

The best thing is to get the horse to a vet who works with a farrier and get the feet in better condition while also treating any underlying issues.

NikkiBlaze14 likes this.