Arnold Reproduction Center sends recipient mares to auction...

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jul 27, 2016.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

And guess who bought them?

Kill pen....of course the "owner" never thought that would happen? Oh please.

Their FB page is down...and their website is too full to view? Wonder why?

And the nursemare foal scam artists push for ET instead of live cover in hand?

Gee...ET doesn't seem so great, nor does AI either. arnrepor.jpg

2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Oh that is so sad. One of my vets uses recipient mares from texas. They always come to him looking "used" and their weight is usually on the slimmer side. I don't know if it is the same place as the one you posted about, but I don't know how many places there would be in texas.

One of the mares he had this foaling season didn't produce enough milk and he said he was going to send her back. I knew her fate probably wouldn't be so good with that history...
    Super sweet mares too. :(

3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I worked for a recip mare farm in TX and let me just tell you what... I wouldn't wish that on ANY horse. It was a large operation, about 700 horses in north TX. No thanks. The things I witnessed there still make me cringe.

Actually, most of the horse ppl there make me cringe. Not my cup of tea, which is one of the reasons I came back to PA.

Alsosusieq2 and meljean like this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I am confused by what this is. What are these mares?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

recipient mares..... mares who carry anothers mares foal.
    You take an egg out of one of your good mares and throw it in a cheap, healthy mare and you're expensive show horse never has to carry a foal.

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

So. . . People what, rent a mare to carry a foal of a different mare?
    All the same, sad that the owner didn't try to rehome them privately first.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Yes, a mare owner rents the recip mare until the foal is weaned. Then the recip mare goes back to the farm to be rebred for someone else. They are kept in a feedlot type environment, way too many horses for the space, and are not treated well at all. If one gets sick or injured, they take it out back and shoot it vs calling the vet b/c it's a cheap sale barn horse and isn't worth anything.

That was the protocol where I worked anyways.

Alsosusieq2 and meljean like this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

the The breeding facility where I got my recip mare had plenty of room for recips, they were kept in large pastures. The mares with a foal by their side were stalled, but they were also taken out to the pastures with other mare/foal combos. My recip mare was in very good weight when I brought her home. 20160516_075246.jpg

9. meljean

meljean Senior Member

As well as...your one good, expensive mare...can have 4 or more foals born during one year....not sure what record is for eggs transplanted...but way too many foals born to suit me.

ginster likes this.
  10. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Well it's not backyard, grade, unproven, non performance mares being embryo transferred either. There are performance mares. At least the babies have value other than $75 at your local auction.