Arizona people (hay prices)

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Horseemommy, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Horseemommy

Horseemommy Full Member

I am in Arizona and have a question to the other Arizona people. I am very new to being a horse owner (**eekk** :) so I'm wondering about where people buy their alfalfa and/or grass hay. My new mare is currently getting just alfalfa and alfalfa pellets, but I was hoping to add some grass hay to the mix. I do know that grass is more expensive. I am in the East Valley, my mare is currently in Apache Junction.

2. polar

polar Full Member

I buy timothy and bermuda from Aden's Hay Oasis on Williamsfield. It's 14.50 for the timothy and I think 10 something for the bermuda there. Usually they carry pretty good stuff. Higley Feed is good too and sometimes I'll hit up San Tan feed but that's pretty far south. I thought I'd seen a feed store up off Apache too, but I don't go up there as much so I haven't been to any of those.

3. Horseemommy

Horseemommy Full Member

My mare is getting just alfalfa and alfalfa pellets. She is young (3 in April) so she is growing, but is obviously not in very strenous work. I would like to add grass hay to the mix, since it is actually cheaper right now (not by much). Can you tell me about bremuda hay?

4. HnA Tack

HnA Tack Senior Member

I used to get the nicest alfalfa/bermuda mix from Higley Feeds but that was a few yrs ago. Is the feed store in AJ still open - thinking it was on Ironwood? They usually had good bermuda. If you need definites, PM me & I can chk w/my friend who lives in Gold Canyon where the best place is these days.

5. polar

polar Full Member

Some horses I notice aren't as thrilled with bermuda as with timothy or alfalfa so you might find she turns up her nose at it. Mine always save it for last. I don't feed alfalfa though so unless I want to pay for all timothy they get bermuda. It seems like a few people in the area sell mixes of the two like HnA is talking about, but the ones I know of have all been individual hay farmers. I'm not sure which feed stores you find that at.

6. Just a Pet

Just a Pet Registered

I pay $6-7 per square bail of coastal Bermuda here in Texas.

7. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

Sounds like you guys are better off in the Valley... I was told Bales hay sales in Buckeye (?) has great hay at a low price but I want to say Buckeye is in the west valley....

I live just north of Prescott, 13 a bale for Alfalfa, 18-20 a bale for Timother, 17 a bale for Orchard, and 12-14 a bale for Bermuda. My horses won't touch the Bermuda, BTW. Don't buy a lot of any one grass hay till you find out what she will eat.

Sorry for any typos, on my phone...

8. bobnhawks315

bobnhawks315 Senior Member

wait what? am i reading right? u guys are paying $18 a bale? thats crazy! how do u afford that?

9. Ceramiche

Ceramiche Registered

Hey ! I just moved to Arizona and would like to know where can I get good and reasonably priced Timothy Hay for my horses . Any kind soul out there can help me with it ?

10. murdoch

murdoch Senior Member

If you are near Phoenix and you have a truck and the time the best place I have found for reliable timothy is the feed store at the race track. Outside of the Phoenix area I do not know. Most people (myself included at the moment) avoid feeding timothy since it is very expensive ($15-$22 depending on timing etc (usually around $18)) . Unless you have a horse with problems eating alfalfa and bermuda it is probably not cost effective to feed timothy in this area.