Arena sand

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 26, 2018.

1. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Disagree. Not all grass is created equal, you do need a variety with a tough root system but it can and does hold up and in some situations is the best option available.

Arem and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  2. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I think you should have the property evaluated because I think that what the guy is telling you is not correct about the base.

As for grass, the turf at places like spruce is meticulously maintained by teams of people and replaced with sod as needed over the course of the tournament - not really comparable at all to a home arena. That’s like saying because golf courses have perfect grass, so can you.

One rider riding one horse on a grass arena is probably not going to wear it out. I ride out in one of my fields often in the summer and the grass is fine. That said it is slippery and you have to be careful not to ride on it when it’s wet because the hoofprints will become permanent divots since you can’t harrow it the same way you can harrow sand.

ibsammy and uncanny580 like this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@kb1gra, @Arem & I aren't saying a private grass ring would be anywhere near the likes of the one at Spruce! Goodness gracious I even said "grass might just work if it's cared for properly.....but of course not as meticulously as Spruce..." What we are saying is that for 1 person, at least for the time being, it could be a very likely solvent to spending the kind of cash @CarlisleChipper was quoted, or even half of that! We're also saying that slc is wrong - though she has now edited her post (classic slc) so our replies make less sense now.

I agree though - OP needs to have someone educated in equine footing come out, discuss & quote properly.

heartland and Arem like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Classic SLiCk. Post editing magic.:rolleyes:
    I did quote her before she added the following novel. Likely in response to what we had posted after. I won’t bother reading. It wasn’t there originally so it doesn’t count. :wink:

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  5. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I live in Texas so no I'm not going to put grass out there that I'd have to water. I already have hay pastures that are tormented from the lack of summer rain. The barn I ride at 18 miles down the road is stationed on clay. Straight up clay. So they don't have this issue and cannot empathize with the issues I'm having. All they need to do is either nothing, or put a few inches of limestone and they're golden. I have to have the area graded, leveled, a base, and footing on top, from scratch. They said 6 inches because it will compact and the sand underneath will continue to eat away at the base and sink down, as SLC suggested about the fabric and other things. I have a general idea of how it works but I do have a lot of learning to do about what exactly this needs. One thing I know for sure is I don't want to risk soft tissue injuries.

PyroTekNik333 likes this.
  6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I was responding to the post sharing pictures of the rings at spruce and badminton as examples of grass rings. That’s not really comparable to what someone’s backyard arrangement will ever be.

7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Someone’s backyard grass arena is generally not grabbable off of google images, though.

The example still stands. If elite venues can maintain grass arenas to elite standards, then a backyard rider in a grass friendly area can maintain their grass arena to their standards.

It’s like conventional backyard arenas. How many of those are kept to elite standards? Not many.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I would love to know who to have out to evaluate the area. 1, I can hardly get any local company to get back to me. 2, the companies do general dirt work and I'm not sure many have done an actual arena but they have the equipment to build an arena leading to me telling them what I want instead of them giving me a professional opinion since they don't specifically do riding arenas. Am I searching wrong?

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

We had a civil engineer do our site and drainage plan. They can help you with the plan on how to your tbis on your land then the builder comes in and builds it to their design.

MzCarol likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes. Ask locally who build the arenas you see at different stables. Call them. Don't expect them to get back to you right away - keep calling them. Don't give up. Most of them are very busy and traveling a lot. They can rent equipment locally and buy materials locally, and they have to keep on working, even when everyone in their county has an arena, lol. So they travel.

Don't work with someone where you know more than he does and would be calling the shots. It is no good to be the smartest person in a room when you don't have all the information needed to do the project. As my friend said when told she was now the official 'expert' on a project she knew nothing about, 'God help us.'

Many of these people also do athletic fields. If you have local stadiums they may have done the athletic fields. Ask around. Talk to people.

Many of them used to be excavators. An excavator isn't qualified to decide how to build a riding arena or where, or engineer the soil work. He's competent to run the machine the way a project leader tells him to. You need someone who can lead the project. Someone that has experience building arenas.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018