Arena sand

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Oct 26, 2018.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I've been in the process of clearing land for a riding arena. Land is cleared. But for a legitimate arena not even including fencing, the only company that will get back to me is saying $29,000 and that is just for a base and sand on top. I just went out to see if I can even get to the natural base under the same. Nope. I got a out 4 feet down before I gave up. It's just pure sand. Like beach sand, loamy sand that coastal hay grows in. I'm wondering if sand this deep would ever naturally compact under the impact of the horses hoof and be suitable. I honestly don't know. Another option I'm wondering about is since the sand is probably suitable for riding by itself, if I had the land graded about a foot down to where it is nice clean sand. Could I pay to have a base put down and then the sand that was graded off of it, could that be cleaned and reused to put back on top of the base. Is that even a service? Because I'd have to have all that dirty sand hauled off which is another pretty penny.
    I'd rather spend $29,000 on a tractor and have the base brought in so I could spread it myself. Ugh. I feel so discouraged like I'm not ever going to get my riding arena at home. Frustrating to have the perfect space for it but not able to utilize it.

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Without seeing your property I would guess that you could put down a draining barrier fabric on your leveled arena space then build a base of crushed rock on top of that then if your sand is really clean and free of silt you can use that as the top layer. If you are in a wet area you can add rubber to keep the sand from packing and if you are in a dry area add wood chips to help retain water.

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  3. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

Without seeing it, and without knowing what size you’re quoting, I think that company may not understand what you want. I just did a 100x240, including removing 6” of topsoil (we used it elsewhere to build a conditioning ramp and filled in some low spots elsewhere) adding 4” of gravel, geotex, and 2” of masonry sand was about $10k. Completely different area, of course, but $29k just seems batty to me. If you already have sand there, I would just strip off enough to get past the vegetation and try riding on it to see how it holds up.

mooselady likes this.
  4. CarlisleChipper

I'm very worried about soft tissue injuries while trying a pure sand arena. This is for the work. The area is 165x145 Screenshot_20181026-180643.jpg

5. slc

slc Senior Member

The membrane and rock will fairly rapidly sink into the sand 'base.'

6. CarlisleChipper

SLC I think if there is that fabric there it will prevent things from sinking. But still. I cringe to think of the price of a giant piece of fabric.​

7. CarlisleChipper

8. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

Well you are replacing a pure sand arena with a 4” deep pure sand arena. A depth of 10” of excavation is probably right for $28k. Where did you get that depth from? Gravel to 6” deep is going to cost quite a lot.

9. CarlisleChipper

I don't understand what you mean. They said 6 inches of base would compact to 3 inches. I just gave a guess of 4 inches of arena sand on top. I don't really know how many inches it's supposed to be. But digging 10 feet in the ground isn't going to work unless I want a pool.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

No. That is incorrect.

You really need to study a lot and get a lot more information - correct information - before you build.

And you are building, when you make an arena.

But you need to understand some concepts before you do.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018