Arena Riders...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by JStorry, May 16, 2015.

1. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

A long time ago I was a trail rider. I thought that arena riding was just going in circles and boring. I thought trail riding was the best there was, that and working cattle. Pack trips. Horse back hunting. All of it to me had a purpose and the arena stuff seemed rather useless.

I'd dated trainers, penners, other arena type riders and still wouldn't give it a chance.

Then a friend of mine got a new broodmare. And she wanted me to ride her. She's a finished reiner who'd never been trail rode. I rode her on trails and marveled at the athleticism and training on her. I wanted to learn what she knew. So I took lessons on her in an arena. Oh my gosh... they things she could do. The spins. The slides. I was hooked. Started taking lessons on her reining stud as well. Could not believe the horsepower I was on. I wanted that. So I started my search for a reiner I could breed and ride. In the meantime started training my percheron to do modified versions of what the reiner could do, while still enjoying him as a trail horse. Ended up falling in love with the sale ad for a finished cutter, with money earning offspring. Bought her sight unseen. Fell in love even more.

This horse has more buttons. I took lessons on her too. And on her sons with my SO's trainer. Became hooked on cutting. All of a sudden have friends who are better trainers than the ones I was dating. Went to Washington to lope horses for my SO and help out with the horses in his trainers barn. First horse show I ever went to, NCHA sanctioned.

Get home. Local cutting trainer texts me. He's have a schooling show. It's cutting and working cow. I got up my nerve and went. Rocked. It. Just a schooling show. No winners really but I got high score in my class for both goes.

Used to be a trail rider who scorned arena work. Once I started arena riding my trail riding became better.

Moral of my story. Neither arena or trail riding is better. Both make a better r horseman. Both are fun. We all love horses. Love what you do. But don't think less of someone because they like something different

2. Sooner or Later

Sooner or Later Senior Member

Vey well said! Keeping an open mind to other disciplines is always a good thing, it keeps us learning and growing, doing the thing we love: Riding.

5 people like this.
  3. Samarama

Samarama Senior Member

Agreed!

I think this is similar to the "english is better than western" and vice versa as well. We're all (or hopefully are) in the sport because we love horses and love our sport... that should be enough! Who cares if you're "just" a trail rider or "just" an arena rider.... just ride and be happy about it :)

5 people like this.
  4. LadyDulcinea

LadyDulcinea Senior Member

This is a lovely post! I agree 100%. Although each type of riding is different, there are things to be learned from all.

5 people like this.
  5. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

I think of it in terms of Track & Field.
    In Track & Field, there are track runners, and there are cross country runners (and all sorts of runners in between). Is the relay runner any less of an athlete than the cross country runner? Is the hurdler more skilled than the high jumper? Is the marathoner somehow better than the sprinter?
    No, no, and no.
    They're all different and MORE POWER TO THEM for sticking to what they enjoy doing. They're all runners, and they all have something unique and interesting to offer.

6 people like this.
  6. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

The best part of horses is that there are so many disciplines so each owner can pick the ones that interest her! There is no right or wrong choices as long as you and the horse enjoy what you are doing. Personally I want a horse who is versatile and can perform both in the arena and outside of it----I love stadium jumping, the thrill of working cattle can't be beat, yet mostly you'll find me out on challenging trails. Hubby's teaching his TWH gelding to be a roper----don't let breed hold you back either!

4 people like this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I love the different things that arena, trails, and open fields offer. I don't have many chances to ride in an arena, but they give a more controlled environment to work on specific things. Open fields give you the room to work like an arena only often larger and with distractions for horse and rider to learn to ignore. Or enjoy. :p And room to run if you feel so inclined. :cool: Trails? So much fun. Good for mental breaks or desensitizing and exposure to new challenges. Or just plain fun... or anything. lol

If you ask me, every trail rider and trail horse needs a little arena work and every arena rider and arena horse needs a little trail riding. Doing different things keep you and your horse well rounded.

I am a western rider, but I want to take Dressage lessons for the same reason. To broaden my horizons and keep myself well rounded.

8 people like this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Any videos from your show ????? :-D

3 people like this.
  9. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I wish. It would be like the few flag and practice videos I have that I watch over and over to try and fix what I did wrong.

I gotta say though, all the cutters I know talk about the feeling of laying your hand down. I get it now. It's truly indescribable.

There were so many things going through my head before our go. Will I pick the right cows and commit. Are my reins long enough. Will I know when to quit. And the silly stuff like will I be able to stay on when she gets a good cut. Will I look stupid. All that went out the window when I rode into the herd got my cow and layed my hand down. I can't describe it but I loved it. All I can think about it doing it again and getting better.

I'm no where near the level you're at, but you're an inspiration to me. I watch your videos when you post them. I love them. Keep em coming!

6 people like this.
  10. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Agreed! I used to tell my mom I "would never wear those tight sissy English pants." Now the horse I have is strictly English and we are geared toward the jumping ring when he is older lol

4 people like this.