Are there any health benefits to gelding a horse?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by draftlover, Jan 10, 2010.

1. draftlover

draftlover Senior Member+

I recently purchased an almost 2 year old miniature horse. He will not be used for breeding nor will he be with other horses while pastured.

My question is, is there any health benefit to gelding him or would it be fine to leave him a stallion?

2. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member+

Well aside from the fact that he'll be less inclined to bite you! lol

Also, since circumstances often change, if he's not EVER going to stand at stud, then I'd say geld him.

3. megan_kat22

megan_kat22 Senior Member+

If you're never going to breed him he will be MUCH happier without all that testosterone building up in his body and no... release. It's like having a hormonal teenage boy stuck in a box.. he will take out his frustration somehow.

4. draftlover

:rofl: I didn't think of it that way. Good point!!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. corroded allure

corroded allure Full Member

Stallions that aren't bred can be quite dangerous. We trail rode with a stallion that had only been bred once (accidentally) and the stallion would try to mount any mares that we were riding with. It's quite scary, especially if the owner doesn't have much experience with stallions or doesn't have the stallion under control.

I'd say even a miniature horse could be dangerous, so if not for his, I'd say your safety would greatly benefit from gelding him.

6. tabinmaine

tabinmaine Senior Member+

I say have him gelded just so he can have a normal life and not have to be kept in isolation his whole life... every horse needs a buddy to run and play with... he will never get that chance if you keep him a stallion...

7. draftlover

I do plan to geld him in the spring but really wondered if there were any health benefits to doing so.

I was told by my vet that spaying my dog would give her less chance of getting ovarian cancer, so thought maybe there were benefits to gelding a horse.