Are Salt Licks Necessary?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ivory Rose, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I appreciate all the responses!
    I would agree that, "Why not?"
    Does anybody have an opinion on the difference of salts, such as iodized versus himalayan, as far as what is best to feed?

2. magoo320mj

magoo320mj Senior Member

Same here. Sometimes they go through a block in a few weeks; sometimes a block will last several months. It just depends. Our part of Oregon is extremely selenium deficient so we offer a salt block plus a mineral block.

Ours seem to prefer the Himalayan, but I don't have any knowledge of one being better than the other. Sometimes it's a matter of what's on sale. :rofl:

3. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

The area from NorCal that I am from was extremely selenium deficient so my Morab had to go on supplement for that. And he had mineral blocks, as well.
    He did not like the typical just-salt licks.

4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I occassionally hang the redmond rocks from trees in the woods during the hot summer as a treat. I have a couple horses who get obsessed with them, so I mostly use the plain salt blocks. I'm not sure how 'too much' salt would effect them. I'm not even sure what too much salt is, so I try to play it safe.

NaeNae likes this.
  5. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I know that extremely elevated levels of sodium are fatal, but ... Good Lord. How much salt or how little water would a horse need to consume for that to even be an issue??? I HIGHLY doubt leaving out salt licks would even come close to such a result. Honestly.

6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I'm talking trying to eat a whole redmond rock in one day. They don't do that with the plain salt block. If my answer has offended you, my apologies as my horses' health is important to me.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  7. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

While my mare hasn't done this yet, I can see how it could be an issue with some. My mare obsessed over those lickit treats. She will sit and lick and bite it until the entire thing is gone, typically takes her 3 hours?

Happy that she doesn't have that obsession over a salt lick but it's plausible.

doublelranch likes this.
  8. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

Oh gosh, you didn't offend me at all! LOL I was literally wondering how much salt a horse would need to ingest to cause an issue.
    Or how dehydrated the animal would need to be for sodium levels to rise.

It is interesting stuff! Because I do not know how much is "too much" either!

9. Ivory Rose

Ivory Rose Full Member

I am glad she knows the difference, because I am not gonna lie ... if my horse did that over a salt block, I might be a bit concerned lol

10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I just use regular table salt (I get the stuff that doesn't have iodine).

Yup! My horses are in 3-horse fields so I always have a 50-pound mineral and a 50-pound white block out there. They all use them but they're not obsessed with them.

The owner of the other two horses in Sparky's field puts Himalayan blocks out, which is fine with me. Again, they use them but don't obsess on them.

I just like to offer a choice. They're inexpensive so price is not an issue for me. I'm more concerned with my penchant for buying saddles that I don't need. :ROFLMAO:

Ivory Rose likes this.