Are Salt Licks Necessary?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Ivory Rose, Mar 8, 2019.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I always provide both a plain and a mineral block. I also add loose salt to their feed and supplement with electrolytes when it’s brutally hot and I see any signs of dehydration.

They’re cheap and my horses use them.

As for whether they know what they need, I know I crave salt periodically. If my horses do, they have it.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Mine take forever to go through a salt block. They have it, and they lick it when they are bored. They are about halfway done the one I got them last May. Three horses pastured together I might add.
    They get grain daily and loose mineral in their grain so I don't think they really need a lot of salt. They do have it if they want it though

Ivory Rose likes this.
  3. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Neither of my horses will touch salt blocks, mineral blocks, or himalayan salt licks. I periodically add salt/electrolytes to their feed.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Since salt is an important part of their diet and it's cheap, why not.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Horses need salt either in feed(many feeds include salt, whether it's enough ornot), a block or natural local salt licks. Why is the question being asked?

Ivory Rose likes this.
  6. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

For those that offer it loose, where do you get it? Do you feed recommended rates of a particular grain and add it on top? I try to avoid mixing and matching grains so I don't screw up ratios, but it didn't occur to me until today that maybe processed grains don't have enough salt in them. Hmmmm, maybe I'll start adding some to Lolas feed.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Ivory Rose likes this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Ask for stock salt at any feedstore.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  9. sherian

sherian Senior Member

to be honest mine seem to use their salt block as much as a toy as a supplement, but at 6.99 I'm good with that.

Ivory Rose likes this.
  10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Mine go through salt and trace mineral blocks like crazy! Well it seems like when we have to replace them at least quarterly. I guess it's not that much when you consider the number of animals on them thought.

If we let them run out and do without for a week or so, they destroy the first trace mineral block we put out in a couple of days. The next one will last longer and they do not do that if we don't let them run out.

I love to watch them at the salt. They lick, slobber, paw at it, try to bite chunks out of it and just act like clowns over it!