Are horses really afraid of snakes?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by dancer, Jun 25, 2005.

1. dancer

dancer Senior Member+

I was wondering this because about a week or so ago, I was riding Buddy around bareback and halter/bridle-less, just letting him wander around in the woods, when we stirred up a king snake. Buddy didn't freak out or anything-he just stood there and stared at it! He was interested, but we wasn't gonna spook and run away. He even waited for me while I got off to get a better look at it and then came back to get back on. Needless to say, I'm very proud of him! So...Are most horses really afraid of snakes????

2. AQHA_Gizmo

AQHA_Gizmo Senior Member+

You got off with a snake? You are BRAVE! I guess it is good I can NOW get on bareback from the ground by myself...LOL...ok that's another story.....

I heard snakes will hide when they hear hoof beats in the ground...??

3. HorseCrazy1981

HorseCrazy1981 Senior Member

I have one horse that I know of that isn't afraid of snakes. I have seen her chase and trample several large snakes, and last year, she got bit by a rattler on her nose, and we had to go through the steroids with her. Anyway, nothing really phases her. (She is known for being ferocious.)

4. *Cricksters*

*Cricksters* Full Member

My friend was riding a horse while she was in Georgia and there was a snake in the middle of her path and he horse was totally fine. I think it all depends on the horse, some may be scared but others may not care at all!

5. BarebackJourney

BarebackJourney Senior Member+

Depends on the horse, but I've heard most horse's natural instincts are to kill them.

6. LadyDulcinea

LadyDulcinea Senior Member+

I have never actually seen Swayze and a snake together, but two or three times when I have gone out in the morning to feed, I will clean his stall and find a dead snake...freshly squished, so I'm guessing he isn't thrilled about them. Not sure if he freaks out or just plain squishes them though.

7. sian

sian Senior Member+

we only have adders and grass snakes etc around here, but it brings out the ultimate terror in my horse! but then again my horse is afraid of pebbles!! lol

8. smeebee101

smeebee101 Senior Member

Mines afarid of them cause they slither threw the leaves real fast and scare my horse.

9. horse_luvr83

horse_luvr83 Senior Member+

i don't think horses are afraid of them if they see them. MAYBE if your riding along side the trail in fall and the leaves are brown and hard to see, and one is there and doesn't move across until the horse is right on it, then maybe!but i was riding a friends mare and we came across a bright orangy colored snake and she just stopped, let it pass and then kept going where as my aun't pretty green horse was flipping out behind me.

10. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

i suppose it depends if they have had a bad expierance or something from one!