Arabs & Bits

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by ShetahnsGirl, Jan 7, 2010.

1. ShetahnsGirl

ShetahnsGirl Senior Member

My arab has been progressively getting worse when I try to put his bridle on. I'm pretty sure he hates his bit. He has a half-moon (curved) medium sized d-ring snaffle (can't remember the size but it's a good size for him).
    So anyways, my point is, what bit does your arab prefer? Someone did tell me a good one on here once, but I can't find where or what it is, lol.

2. Hermymyboy

Hermymyboy Senior Member

I'm breaking an Arab in at the moment... Lovely horse but also has a fussy mouth.
    The only one he has accepted happily is a happy mouth straight bar (not sure what it's called but it's a loose ringed rubber straight bar)
    Any other bit he hated - usually I start with a normal french link or a loose ringed snaffle & I tried about 6 different ones!
    Good luck!

3. lspidell

lspidell Full Member

I ride a half Arabian and she simply hates the bit, but I believe it's because of the way some of the riders in the school pull on her face all the time. She stops fighting If you keep a really light hand on her. Does your horse just fight having the bit put in his mouth, or does he keep fighting after you start riding him?

4. Comida

Comida Senior Member+

We have an Anglo-Arabian who is very fussy. It took me a LOT of trial and error to find a bit that she liked. I normally use french-link snaffles on my horses, and she hated them.

I ended up using a single-jointed eggbutt hollow mouth snaffle...and she adores it. It's a lot lighter than my other bits, and is single-jointed. :)

Our SEA gelding wears a copper-mouth french-link snaffle (VERY hard to find). He loves it. :)

5. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member+

I have a half-arab with a VERY sensitive mouth.

He was really starting to brace and refuse to put his head down with a few of the bits I tried.

But---he absolutely LOVES his Eggbutt French-Link Snaffle.

Love it as well.

[​IMG]

That is the exact bit, but just a reference.

Comida likes this.
  6. glideride

glideride Senior Member+

I also use this same bit on my Arab and he works really well in it!:wink:

7. kewpalace

kewpalace Senior Member

My senior goes in a D-ring snaffle. No problems there.

My 1/2 Arab goes in either a loose ring snaffle, a billy allen loose shank curb or a fixed ported curb with a roller depending on what we're doing.

Neither of my horses are fussy with their bits. My Mare loves her cricket though! :D

8. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Full Member

My arabian hates bits, I have tried numerous bits on him. I have switched to a mechanical hackamore and he is going beautifully.

9. Comida

Comida Senior Member+

Like I said...a french-link snaffle is always the first bit I reach for with any horse. They are quite mild, and most horses do very well with them. (the pic posted is a great example!)

Be careful with the mechanical hackamore. You can do A LOT of damage with them, with very little pressure. If it is adjusted too low, you can actually cut your horse's air supply off (yes, we've seen a horse go down with a rider on it's back from this) or do damage to the cartilidge in the nose.

I don't know your skill, but figured it should be said for others reading the forum or getting here from google. Mechanical hackamore's require very skilled hands. If you are not that skilled but don't want to/can't use a bit...go with a sidepull, bitless bridle, or bosal.

10. Roleysnewmom

Roleysnewmom Senior Member+

I just switched my half-arab to a waterford bit. He was in a jointed big D ring. He absolutely loves the waterford. BUT, depending on how responsive your horse is to bits a waterford might be too much bit. It's primarily used for racehorses after they come off the track because it's very effective in reducing rushing. I'll find a pic.. it's a cool looking bit, and regardless of what I said about all of it I wouldn't label it as a "harsh" bit. It just serves a certain purpose.