Arabs...and saddles...??

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by SpiritSaddle, Mar 11, 2007.

1. SpiritSaddle

SpiritSaddle Senior Member

So I'm getting that arab mare from down in NV and I got to thinking about the saddle. How would i go about measuring her for the type of saddle or gullet size she needs? And I often have heard about arabian saddles, what's the difference between arab saddles and regular saddles? :confused:

2. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member

The problem with Arabians are that they backs tend be shorter, and a lot of the times a square-skirted saddle will bang against their hips and make them sore.

I've owned Arabians my entire life, and we've always used a round-skirted, semi-quarter horse bar saddles on all of them without incident.

As for sizing for a saddle, I'll be right back with a link.

How to best fit a western saddle on your horse

3. ArabGirl

ArabGirl Senior Member

I have a square skirted saddle on my arab mare Roxanne, she does fine with it. The difference IMO, is that the bars are wider/higher because arabs have higher withers and more slender backs, making regular saddles seem too wide for an arab.

4. SpiritSaddle

So if I went out and got an "arab saddle" would I be good to go?

5. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member

An Arabian saddle or not, you'd still have to make sure it fit her correctly :)

6. ArabGirl

ArabGirl Senior Member

IMO, for some arabs, you can buy an arab saddle, but it won't fit. Fit needs to be adjusted to each individual horse, sometimes without setting up breed 'standards'. (Using QH saddles, or gaited saddles, etc.)

7. Sue B

Sue B Senior Member+

From my experience, there are different body types on Arabs...depending on bloodlines. In general, they are short backed and that is an issue...but some are not as short as others. As for square skits fitting or not fitting...that depends a lot on which brand of saddle you are buying. Even in saddles where the skirts measure the same length...once placed properly on the horse...they may end up being very different in where they end in relationship to the hip.

Additionally, some Arabs are wide sprung and very "rounded" looking...with flat backs that need wider trees. Others are narrower and more "angular" in appearce. This is why you can't judge by the type of tree or the name of the model. Someone already said it right....regardless of the breed or the saddle...it still has to be fitted properly. I have fitted everything from Arab specific trees/saddles to semi-QH and full bars to A-forks on Arabs. Like any breed, they come in different styles and shapes and are not made identical..therefore, they can't all take the same tree.

8. SpiritSaddle

Alright thanks, that's what I was thinking but then I got thinking about WHY they have Arabian saddles. Can non arabian horses use arab saddles? I'm just trying to learn a little more.
    What is the best way to measure for a saddle? I've heard of the coat hanger thing, where you "mold" it around your horse, but then what? You go out and look for saddles but do you fit the "mold" in the gullet? Is it supposed to be the same? That's the part I just don't understand, because if it were the same size and the mold slid into the gullet, wouldn't that therefor not fit and sit on top of the withers??

9. haunani

haunani Senior Member+

A semi-QH tree would never fit my boy who is VERY well-sprung through the ribcage. He actually just about wide enough for a draft-treed saddle.

It's best to see what shape your horse has. A good way to do this is to take pictures from behind them, kind of looking down from above their rump. You'll be able to see their back and their shoulders this way, which can help a lot with figuring out what size saddle should work for them.

10. wyldterv

wyldterv Senior Member+

If you put a semiQH bar on Dancer she'd be pinched raw in the withers in about 15 mins... She's fairly well sprung and the QH Bar seems to fit her best so far, so it really depends on the horse!:)

You can find shorter backed squared off skirts if you take your time and look for them:) IN general though, if you were looking for a Western Show Saddle, even if you KNEW your horse was a full QH Bar in a specific brand of saddle (Bars are different from MFG to MFG) you wouldn't just want to buy a full QH bar show saddle with out trying it on, as there is a good chance it would be too long, too much, of a skirt for your horse, even though the bars would fit properly.

Your BEST bet is to find a tack store in your general area that has someone certified in fitting and will let you bring your horse and spend some time fitting trees to them to see what fit is the best fit and then you can go from there:)