Arabians without dished head

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Manca, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Manca

Manca Senior Member

Not sure if this belongs here or in the chat, so please move it if it should be somewhere else.

I'm trying to find informations about arabians without dished face. No or almost no concavity... Do they exist? I'm sure I saw them before ;) Is there a line of them like polish, egyptians, etc or are they only "a conformation fault"?

2. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member+

Less dishy tend to be more the Polish, Spanish, Shagya, etc. Egyptian typically have dishy heads.

1 person likes this.
  3. lollaughoutloud

lollaughoutloud Senior Member

Yes I've seen plenty.

This is our purebred mare who we recently sold
    [​IMG]

She is Crabbet/Egyptian - her sire was very dishy but her dam was plainer than she was. I know of plenty of purebreds plainer than her, so they do exist!

1 person likes this.
  4. Manca

Manca Senior Member

I am really impressed by arabians, but not by dish heads... One time, when I'll have enough money for another horse I'd really love to own an arabian. And do endurance :D

Does no concavity go against them at halter shows?
    What about genetics, can you predict if foal will have dish or not? Do parents without dishes mean no dish foal?

5. Manca

Manca Senior Member

P.s.: what a gorgeous mare, lollaughatloud. That would be exactly the kind of head I would be looking for ;)

6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member+

Just wanted to add, not all Straight Egyptians have an extremely dished face.

This is my 4yr old

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Manca

Manca Senior Member

Beautiful! How did his/her parents look like?

8. lollaughoutloud

lollaughoutloud Senior Member

I don't know what the judging is like in other countries, but in Australia, yes it does go against them in the show ring. Their head especially is a huge part of 'Arabian Type' which is part of what they're judged on.

As for foals, I think it would have to have something to do with it. Our mare has had 3 foals. I have no idea about the first one. The second foal was purebred, by a very typey stallion, and the foal was about half way in between both parents. Her most recent foal is by a very NON-Arabian Australian stock horse, with a very straight head. The foal is very plain by Arab standards, but she it still pretty - just not 'typey'.

9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member+

Here is his pedigree. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shamalee+bakkir

Bakkir and his Dam - She has a beautiful face but I'm biased - lol! I really fell head over heals in love with this mare.

[​IMG]

and with her second colt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and his Sire (more of a dished head)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. windblown

windblown Senior Member+

Actually, the majority of Arabs won't have that really dishy head. You'll see a lot with a little bit of a dish, but for the most part you don't see the extreme.

Some of mine.

WOA Matador+/ (almost Straight Russian - National Champion under saddle)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CW Monsoon (Magnum Psyche grandson on top, Monogramm grandson through bottom)
    [​IMG]

S Just DiMaggio (Saddle Seat breeding - National Top Ten & Regional Champ in halter)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My three purebred mares definitely have dishy heads, but it really just makes them look feminine. I'm okay with that :)

2 people like this.