Arabian Horse Evaluation

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Sadiewynn, Oct 17, 2017.

?

What would you ask/ pay for him?

1. < $2000

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. $3000 - $5000

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. $6000- $7000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. $8000 <

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sadiewynn

Sadiewynn Full Member

Hello Everyone!
    I am debating on selling my gelding, Jaad. He is a 2015 baby. He's a good size, around 15.1hh. He's very fancy and very typey. He was breed by Aljassimya Farms and was almost kept a colt. He is by WH Justice out of Aurora Aljassimya (beautiful AJF bred mare that is expected to bring in 6 figures at the Marquis auction this coming Scottsdale show. He is a gorgeous mover and has the sweetest personality. He has just gone into undersaddle training and his trainer jokes that he was "born broke". They went on a trail ride around the property on his second ride. He can JUMP! I have only lunged him over a handful of fences to see what he'd do but he rocked it every time. He has a "hunter" jump with flat knees and a beautiful arch! I am excited for this guys future. I have another young horse and i do not have the time at the moment that this horse needs. I am debating on selling him. He is a real national quality gelding that will dominate in the show ring one day. What would you ask/ pay for him?
    Thanks
    Sadie

Attached Files:

2. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

I personally wouldn't buy an Arabian that was started so young. Especially one that started jumping. Like you said, he is a baby.
    He does look like a quality animal! Stunning boy you have there.

3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Arabians is Ontario are usually cheap.

My first arab gelding was royally bred and stunning. But he wasn't fancy enough to be a stallion. He was $1500 as a long yearling.

For a fancy green broke gelding maybe $2000 - 3000. It would be different if he was showing and winning.

Most people will pass on him. His pictures make him look like the hyper/hot type. Be careful how you show him online. A few under saddle pictures of him going nicely would be better.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  4. Morganhorse321

Morganhorse321 Senior Member

He is beautiful, but I also wouldn’t purchase an Arab that had been started as a 2 yr old. We always started the Arabs as late 3 yr olds, early 4 yr olds. So that said, I don’t know a price range just because I wouldn’t buy one started so young but he is VERY handsome.

HayleyS likes this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

He is stunningly beautiful, but I am also not so keen on seeing one started, and being jumped, even free jumped, at that age...

I have no idea what you would ask for him.

6. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

Agreed with others. I would stay off this horse's back, for reasons stated above. A few rides and a few free jumps wouldn't bother me personally, but more than that would be a negative, not a positive. He IS a lovely horse for sure, and I know with those "born broke" types it's hard not to do too much too fast, because they just go with it like pros.

7. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

Arabians take a very long time to sell where I am here, there just simply isn't much of a market for a horse of his type. I'd price him in the 3000 range at most here, only because he is above average in movement size and good conformation.

I have to agree I wouldn't look at him because of the age he is started at and that you have him jumping and lunging as a 2 year old. If he was started as a 4 year old, maybe. I'd look at a very lightly started 2 year old stock horse but definitely not any horse that is jumping before 5. He's a pretty big 2 year old but that doesn't make his bones and joints mature enough to handle it. He's also got a pretty long back for an arab. Good way to generate a sway back.

8. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

agree with Bakkir as well, these photos you showed here wouldn't sell him in this area. All high headed and hot looking. There is one around here that looks much like him and I saw his ad for over 2 years.They might have gave up. I never called them because he looked like an airhead in his pictures. Put a small, correct rider on him and take pictures of him looking relaxed and easy going at walk and trot. Arabs look small even with average sized riders on them. I sold mine because every photo I had of us I looked huge, even though she absolutely handled my 5'3 140 lbs.

9. QuarterHorseMomma

QuarterHorseMomma Senior Member

I have to agree it is a tad early to start him. I'd say at most $3,000.... And thats pushing it.

10. Sadiewynn

Sadiewynn Full Member

Thank you everyone for the responses. I wanted to add a bit of info to what is going on with him. He's getting 30 days put on him now and he's about 1/2 way through. He hasn't done more than a walk undersaddle. Once this is up I plan on giving him the winter and most of the spring off to finish growing. Then bring him back April/ May ish for light work the rest of the year. I have found that to work really well with my youngsters to give them some time with the basics so when they come back they have a good foundation. And I don't consider him started jumping by any means. I was playing around with him in the arena and just set up a little x rail and then vertical. The picture is the only session of him ever jumping. He went over it 4/5 times. I think horses working over jumps this young is not good for them but popping him over a jump a few times just to see what he'd do is not any worse than then how he plays in the field! Thank you for all the compliments. He's one I'm really on the fence about!