1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Arab/Percheron Cross?? Anyone ever owned or known one? (aka Desert Norman Horse)

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Shi, Sep 2, 2012.

1. cathrynxox

cathrynxox Senior Member

Subbing!

-tooshort

2. TheBarnGoddess

TheBarnGoddess Registered

Great cross. I've seen Arab/Percheron crosses before, but I like yours the best.

3. nbd

nbd Senior Member+

Maybe it's because I haven't enough coffee yet (which is a hard fact - no matter what:)) but can you clarify this post?

You say that you've yet to find a perch with arab in its pedigree but then go on to explain that grey percherons get their colour from 2 grey arab stallions that were used extensively and that all horses now trace to Jean le Blanc.

Yep - more coffee pour moi.

4. DreamBignRide

DreamBignRide Senior Member+

..that's sickly terrible.

5. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Yes it is considering Roleysmom knew better...and did it anyway....selfish and NO thought to that poor mare..

6. OldGreyMare

What I was TRYING to show is that there hasn't been Arabian in the Percheron blood line's since, for what, 190+ years?! So, in a sense, all the Percheron's now are pure and of NO Arabian blood. The OP was claiming or insinuating it was much more prevalent than it truly is. Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

As for "Perch" in the Percheron line, I would love to see what a fish looks like crossed with an Arabian, maybe that is where we get mermaids?

7. nbd

nbd Senior Member+

Ahh gotcha. I think that's probably where mermaids come from. I've yet to hear a better theory.

8. Shi

Shi Senior Member

Lol, you say Im wrong about there being Arab blood, then go on to tell us about the Arabian blood that's in there breeding history. I never said recent, I said in their history, and as you confirmed that is true. Doesn't really matter how far back it is, it's in there as that proves that Arabs can cross in nicely when the right pair is matched.

http://desertnormanhorse.weebly.com/breed-history.html

9. OldGreyMare

Shi...if you wish to assume your right you go right on ahead. You insinuated that there was "A LOT" of Arabian blood in the Percheron blood lines but I was trying to show that at one time, at what, over 190+ years ago yes, but after that and modern Percherons...no...unless it is a cross. I prefer to keep my Percheron's pure as they are already heading down a slippery slope of crappy purebreds, bad feet, over exaggerated leg action, hooves that fall apart, etc.

10. ACCphotography

ACCphotography Senior Member

Totally off topic but I just had to say that I adore her marking. So cute!!
    (I'm with you on the rest of her though she does have a cute expression.)