Arab/Percheron Cross?? Anyone ever owned or known one? (aka Desert Norman Horse)

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Shi, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Shi

Shi Senior Member

I am so in love with my Arab/Perch gelding, and so intrigued by his breeding. So I'm super curious...who else has heard of this cross, or owned one themselves? What can you say about them? What would you use them for?

Despite our soundness bumps in the road since purchasing him Aug 1st (due to long overdue feet that turned very sore after trimming and then developed an abcsess) he has been a dream. He came to me unbroke, never ridden, 6 years old. In a month (even with weeks of not being able to lunge or ride, did light ground work during that time) his progress is awesome. I have ridden him bareback in a halter, saddled and bridled, have him moving off pressure hind and front end, backing, and all the basics and am ready to try him out on the trail after only a handful of rides. Just waiting to be sure he is 100% sound after his soreness.

Honestly, I can not believe how kind, willing, friendly quick to learn and trusting this gelding is, and he is so stunning! Makes me want to buy a Perch Mare, and start a breeding program :D btw...he is registered with the Half Arab registry, and is 16.1hh.

I've posted pics before....but I'll include a few anyway :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even my totally unhorsey husband LOVES him, and is begging me to let him have him and me to find another for myself, lol...that says a LOT about the horses personality!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I regularly look out my kitchen window and find my husband has taken Crusade out to let him graze on clover and hang out with him.

[​IMG]

Would love to see pics of other crosses like this!

9 people like this.

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member+

No comment on the breeding aspect, but I want to know how you got your husband to change his mind! Mine is adamant about not ever having another hay burner. I have to constantly remind him about that hole in the water he likes to toss money into :p

2 people like this.
  3. husler10

husler10 Senior Member+

I don't own one but there is one for sale near me and I think she's gorgeous! Not a cross that I would ever think of crossing but your boy and this girl seem to have turned out pretty da*rn nice :)

[​IMG]

4. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Your guy looks like a nice boy, but I will warn you not to strike out on this breeding venture! The problem with breeding such different types of horses together is that every one will be drastically different, and the majority of them will not be "smooth" crosses. One might get a perch head, perch body, and dainty arab legs and feet... and you probably know the soundness issues this will lead to. The same mare crossed to the same stallion the next year might yield a dainty body, perch bone, and an arab head... You just never know. This is ALWAYS something you encounter with crossbreeding, especially when the horses are not similar in type.

The personality traits you love about your boy are absolutely not specific to this cross, I promise you that ;)

2 people like this.
  5. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member+

Your boy is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!! Wow, what a beauty - totally my type of horse :) I'm a huge fan!!

BUT, that said - I agree with Shannon. Don't go into it from a breeding program perspective. For every ONE beautiful gorgeous Percheron x Arab like yours, there could be NINE others that didn't get blessed by the Genetics Gods :)

That said, love love love your boy.

Here is a very similar cross - a Percheron x Morgan (I consider Morgans and Arabs somewhat similar in type) Another DROP DEAD GORGEOUS creature :) THis is an HGS horse, Molly!
    [​IMG]

And there is another HGS horse that is a Belgian x Arab - very very beautiful too - she's got a recent thread in Critiques.

3 people like this.
  6. GCA-HGEsquire

GCA-HGEsquire Senior Member+

Here is one - this mare is shown heavily in Dressage by her owner and is currently bred to an Arabian Sport Horse type stallion. She is quite heavy built, nothing dainty about the mare but quite solid and a great horse for her owner who adores her greatly.
    [​IMG]

Denise Gainey

5 people like this.
  7. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I do know one registered Desert Norman. He looks generally like your boy only taller. Nice tempered, moderate knee/hock action, fairly high head carriage and reasonably athletic. His owner loves him to bits and he is used as a field hunter. He wouldn't do well in the show hunter ring (to high headed and too much action) but would be fine for low level jumper, dressage, eventing etc - more of a generalist type. Not a breed I would deliberately seek out but would consider one on it's individual merits.

8. WisconsinEclipse

WisconsinEclipse Senior Member

That would be me! :) Here's Zsa to compare to your beautiful and handsome boy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And we used to have a Perch/TB cross boarded at our barn until the lady that own her took her home, but here are pictures of Vegas too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Shi

Shi Senior Member

I am DROOLING over all these pics of beautiful Draft crosses! I saw the Belgian/Arab last night and thought she was just stunning!

I thought the exact same thing about crossing such different horses. I found him by total fluke when I called an Arab/Half Arab breeder, they happened to mention on the phone this fun experiment they had in the pasture and I just HAD to go see him, I thought he could either be gorgeous or super strange looking! Saw him the next morning and had a deposit on him within 24hours, and delivered the day after that!

Anyway, the more I look into these Draft crosses the more I learn that there is a LOT of Arab blood in Percheron's history. There is even a registry for these crosses, they are called "Desert Norman Horses." The registry seems to possibly be inactive though as I am unable to get through any of the contact info. I'm not running out to buy a mare or anything, but I am very intrigued as I have yet to see an ugly Perch/Arab....(not to say they don't exist!) And my husband (completely unhorsey remember) said to me this morning that he wants to get a mare and stallion and make more of these, LOL.

As far as my husband being transformed? I have no idea, but he can't get over how friendly this horse is, and he loves his big strong build. He is a hunter and actually told me, and was totally serious, that he wants to sell his quad in the spring and start learning to hunt on horse back! He says when I'm finished training Crusade I need to find myself a horse because this one is for him, Lol.
    :charge:

I think with his gentle kind nature he is going to make us and our three young boys a great family horse that I will be able to trust for anyone to ride. Though I'm not agreeing to give him to anyone else anytime soon!! Lol

Take a look at the "Desert Norman" history and let me know if it changes your thoughts on breeding this cross?

Banat likes this.
  10. firelight27

firelight27 Senior Member+

Gorgeous! How tall is your husband?!