AQHA rider gone rogue!!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by RhinestoneZAF, Apr 28, 2016.

1. RhinestoneZAF

RhinestoneZAF Full Member

And by rouge, I mean I've set a summer goal to go to a USDF/AQHA dressage show!

I've shown stock horse events most of my life (all 27 years :)) and I'm just kinda burned out. I want to try things and have fun. After all hobbies are suppose to be fun!

So I took my first official dressage lesson today. I say official because my mom has taken dressage lesson 2-3x a month for awhile and I normally ride in the arena with her during them, but they aren't focused on me. Needless to say, I'm pooped! I found some leg muscles and my horse found some ab muscles we didn't know we had.

We have some schooling shows on the schedule and a real show in August. We're tried tonight, but super pumped for this summer's adventure!

Here's a picture of my tired pony because he's cute :) IMG_20160427_192715.jpg

2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Cool! He is so cute. And very sleepy.ha. :ROFLMAO:
    What is his name? looking forward to updates.

RhinestoneZAF likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Congrats! It sounds like a blast, why not have fun you know. Enjoy! :)

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

He's super cute! It's always fun to change it up.

5. RhinestoneZAF

His name is Zipper. I've had him since he was 11 months old, he'll be 13 this year. I've done all the work and training on him (the good AND the bad). He's my heart horse and I want to help keep him interested and happy with our journey.

No spurs, a happy mouth bit and lots of encouragement to go forward! I'll probably be saying, "MORE leg!!" in my sleep tonight. He's very broke, it's just getting him to move out in a more forward frame.

Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise (literally), we'll go to a schooling show this weekend and do the intro tests. Hopefully the hubby can snap some pictures.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. RhinestoneZAF

We did do some western dressage tests a couple years ago. I'll probably throw in some of this too this summer :) FB_IMG_1461897655454.jpg FB_IMG_1461897636174.jpg FB_IMG_1461897649341.jpg

Circle C, Bebe, RiderofWind and 8 others like this.
  7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

He's very cute! Good luck!

Alsosusieq2 and RhinestoneZAF like this.
  8. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

So fun!! That will be my eventual goal with my guy when we've pointed out of Novice. We won't be competitive enough in the AM HUS I don't think and I've been taking Dressage lessons on him anyways.

Your guy is cute! I like his face marking. He does look about like mine does after our lessons lol!

Alsosusieq2 and RhinestoneZAF like this.
  9. RhinestoneZAF

That's kind if the boat that were in. I haven't pointed out yet, but in Texas it is so competitive even in the novice. At the OKC L1 Championship there were huge trainers there with their "rookie and novice" clients. It was very disheartening for a DIYer like me. Even though they're a "novice" on their $50,000 horse, I feel like it ruins the spirit of what that show was designed to be. We're competitive at the local/regional level, but I get so stickin nervous! I'm my own worst enemy. Ive been that way for years and I think its because I put too much pressure on myself and Zipper to be perfect. What's weird though is at other event shows, ie dressage, I don't get nervous AT ALL! And I can relax and have a good time with my horse.

10. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

He's really cute! Enjoy this new adventure and please keep us posted on how you two are doing. Just remember, no pain, no gain!