AQHA HUS class help please

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Luvahuntseater, Apr 24, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

You can do only lessons with your horse in AQHA and do well. My friend that I took with me last week who doesn't have a trainer like me just won the reserve amateur all around at the Level 1 Championship West with a first in SMS, second in HMS, fifth in rookie trail, fourth in halter some other top tens and finalists. She used another trainer friend just at the show for a charge of day fees each day that he helped her for a total of $200. She is a college student on a small budget. Plus she rode in my old Bob's with the placings in western because she found her Blue Ribbon does not fit her horse. And she rode in the Bob's with the trainer's approval. And she also had on a plain pretty burgundy shirt.

And I came home with three top tens with no trainer help at all at the show.

This is her in her western outfit getting her reserve all around. 31180252_10160165126535431_1603178985129246720_n.jpg

2. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

This^^^ Great advice!

3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

As to your video. I'm not a HUS rider, but agree with the points made. Also, in AQHA you want a relaxed happy horse. And schooling the whole ride will put you last. You can't pick on a horse 100% of the time. They can't learn from it if they are told they are always wrong. They need rewards. On a good note, I think he does have a nice look to be competitive on the novice/rookie level once you tweak things including your transitions.

4. Luvahuntseater

Luvahuntseater Full Member

Thank you for the great advice and feedback on the video. Much appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    LoveTrail likes this.
  5. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Agree with what the others have said. Just do the Rookie or Nov Am (Level 1). The Green class is for those Open level horses that don't have the points under their belts yet, and they will be more spot on with consistency etc. You didn't have a bad ride, but I saw a lot of corrections throughout the ride, downward transitions need work as your horse put his head up when breaking down from canter to walk....he needs to be ridden INTO the transition. He does have some knee and doesn't get into a full extension at the trot, but that can come with time and training. There were times when he was sucked back in the face and bowed up in the neck and poll. You want them always stretched down and packing that bit. In all, DON'T give up....with some tweaks you could do well in the Level 1 and Rookie!!!

Dream27 likes this.
  6. Luvahuntseater

Luvahuntseater Full Member

Thank you for your feedback! So would you say that besides cleaning up our transitions and less corrections, more forward movement at the trot is our biggest issue? I simply wasn't sure just HOW forward AQHA prefers their HUS horses to travel, that's why I held him back a good bit.

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

This is a pretty good YouTube video that talks about what they are looking for in the breed shows.

And here's a video of of more what they want them to look like in the show pen speed wise.

And actually that YouTube account would be a good one to watch because the rider is Beth Case, one of the best AQHA hunt seat riders out there.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Luvahuntseater likes this.
  8. spec

spec Full Member

Thank you LoveTrail for saying this! It sucks that most people who show AQHA look down on the DIYers. I almost get the feeling that they want me to fail. Joke's on them though, horse riding and showing is for *fun* and shouldn't be financially stressful! On that note, it also shouldn't be mentally stressful so if you feel in over your head don't be afraid to hire a trainer! :)
    OP I think you look great for your first show! I'm a western person but I think everyone has offered great advice!
    One piece of advice I will offer: find a good competitive open show circuit to school on, and don't head out to that breed show until you feel like you and your horse are ready. That'll save you money, give ya some experience, and boost your confidence going into the bigger/more competitive breed shows! :)
    Good luck out there.

9. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

I saw the same thing as others. You need more consistency in speed and carriage. It was hard to tell, but it seemed like you were slowing and speeding up within gaits. You want the horse to maintain the same cadence and speed unless an extension or collection is called (I don’t think it would be in green?). Even then, though, it should really be more of a lengthening/shortening of stride vs faster/slower footfalls.

Also, the correction down the long side in the clockwise direction was very blatant. HUS is more of a pleasure class than equitation, so movement and manner of the horse are paramount. My coach always reminded me that, while they are focusing on the horse vs my eq, I still have to make it look like he’s a pleasure to ride on my end. Corrections should be minimal/quiet.

It’s hard to really say without seeing all the other horses but I think starting with transitions and consistency in cadence and carriage will help. Very nice go overall-as has been said, AQHA is very competitive.

kodemiester and Luvahuntseater like this.
  10. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

The crawly, tense walk at the beginning is telling the whole story, the walk is usually the givaway gait for all kinds of problems because at the walk they tend to be most visible.

You have a contact problem. You fiddle around with your reins for a head set while the hind end and back is not engaged instead of riding your horse back to front into the contact,

To fix this I suggest a good dressage trainer. Yes, a dressage trainer, because with proper dressage training you get an athletic, responsive horse that you can ride in any head position you like, including a content and steady long and low with proper contact.

There is no quick and easy fix for your contact problem, but you may post a video of you training in the critique section so people can make suggestions.

Luvahuntseater likes this.