AQHA HUS class help please

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Luvahuntseater, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Luvahuntseater

Luvahuntseater Full Member

Thank you but I also entered a novice HUS class that same day with the same results. My friend just wasn't able to video that one. But I agree with you 100%

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I agree with the others, that the horse just needs to get a little more steady and consistent. i'm in the same situation with my mare.

also, keep in mind, AQHA can be very competitive. where I am, even most horses in the Rookie and Level 1 keep their horses in full time training.

Luvahuntseater, .Delete. and Circle C like this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

AQHA is VERY competitive, for sure.

4. Luvahuntseater

Thank you for the critique, it's MUCH appreciated! And yes, I do have a trainer but he doesn't do AQHA shows so I'm left trying to figure things out on my own.

5. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

If you want to do AQHA from here on out, you should get a trainer that has clients that compete in AQHA. It's a whole different world from local/open shows. It's very competitive and very tough...especially if you don't have any guidance! You need to know what classes to go in and have a trainer that can school on your horse in the green classes, etc for you.

Edit to add: Investing in a AQHA circuit trainer will help in more ways than just training. They will help you learn AQHA patterns, what to wear in the classes, how to behave in an AQHA class, what classes are best for you, if you should drop a class, AND they will help you with the point system. AQHA is extremely complex.

6. Luvahuntseater

That of course makes total sense. However, it is not always financially possible for me to hire a trainer that's why I'm trying to educate myself and develop "an eye" for what AQHA is looking for in a HUS class.

7. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

This is why I switched over to Appaloosas. I can't afford a full time trainer, so I show ApHC breed shows. Much, much cheaper and just as fun!

8. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Where it's not impossible, it's going to be extremely difficult for you to be competitive in AQHA if you're doing it without an AQHA trainer...especially at the level you're at. Just by you stating the word "headset" earlier says a lot about where you are at level wise. There is nothing wrong with where you are at, but you might be setting your sights too high for the time being. It's a great goal to work towards, but you cannot expect to place well when you're showing against finished horses that are competitive.

Additionally, I don't think you should be showing open or AM. You should be in Novice or Novice/AM ONLY, set yourself up for success.

kodemiester and Circle C like this.
  9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I agree, stick to the Novice Amateur or Rookie classes

I'm been trying to explain that to hubby.... he thinks I should show in everything... well, as expensive as a class is, I will stick to ONLY those I am confident we have a chance of placing well in with a good ride. lol

kodemiester, .Delete. and Circle C like this.
  10. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Making sure you're in the right class is vital to how your show experience will be!