AQHA HUS class help please

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Luvahuntseater, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Luvahuntseater

Luvahuntseater Full Member

I've been riding HUS for many years and thought I was a pretty decent rider. With much excitement I've entered my first AQHA show last week but placed last under all 4 judges :(. As we were not allowed to ask the judges questions afterwards I'm left wondering what we did wrong and what we can improve on. Could somebody please watch the video and help me figure out what went wrong?
    Please be kind as this is my first show and I'm trying to learn.
    Thank you very much in advance
    Video link:

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

what exact class was this?

3. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I thought you did well for your first show!! The biggest things that stood out to me were your horse's head/neck position were not consistent and tended to raise above the wither a bit too much (you want the highest part to be directly in front of the wither, not halfway down the neck...I have the same issue with my mare), and your transitions just need to be a little smoother. All of that takes time and a lot of work. I thought for your first show, you showed very well and your horse is a cute mover. :)

Luvahuntseater likes this.
  4. Luvahuntseater

Green HUS

5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

are you a trainer? Amatuer? or Youth?

6. Luvahuntseater

Well thank you so very much for your compliments and yes, I kinda thought that his headset might have played a roll in this. Somebody actually said they thought my horse had too much knee? I really didn't see that but like I've said, I'm still learning. :eek:)

7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Too much contact, too busy with your hands, inconsistent head carriage and BTV is what I see, but I'm no pro. Your horse is super cute tho! Just needs some more training... per usual .... dont they all lol

Luvahuntseater likes this.
  8. Luvahuntseater

Amateur

9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Green Hunter under saddle is an open class, so you are showing against professionals.

If you are eligible, I would show in the Rookie Amatuer HUS and/or the amateur Level 1

10. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

You horse does have quite a bit of knee HOWEVER I think you could get a better trot out of that horse. In AQHA it's not always about who is the best mover but who is the most consistent.

Don't be discouraged, you have tons of room for improvement. There is a lot to critique but I think you first need to become more consistent, you and the horse. Do you have a trainer?

GotaDunQH and Luvahuntseater like this.