Anyone Use Rice Hull Bedding?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by NeighNeigh, Feb 17, 2006.

1. NeighNeigh

NeighNeigh Senior Member+

I've been debating about what to do with the outside portion of my horses' stalls since they both like to lay down out there and need bedding, but I wanted to find something that was going to be cost effective...

Debated between Dry Stall, Cedar Rest, wood pellets, and shavings...then found rice hulls. Decided to try it ($8/bag) and put a couple bags in each horse's stall. They both started munching it, but stopped after a few minutes, and pawed it. One of them rolled in it.

Then it started raining...like cats and dogs! For about 3 hours. I went back out to check on the rice hulls and they are virtually dry!!! The rice hulls are the only part of the uncovered area that is not muddy or full of puddles. Needless to say, I am impressed, and wondered if anyone else has ever used this bedding?

2. Luv2run

Luv2run Senior Member

welli haven't heard of the rice hull bedding but we use the cedar or pine shavings, or ummm shreaded rubber.

3. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Yay! I'm glad to hear that it stayed dry! I hope Queen ate her bute...:)

(yes I'm on HGS at work)

4. NeighNeigh

NeighNeigh Senior Member+

Am I the only one using this stuff??

After 24 hours of rain, the rice hulls are dry under the top layer. I can't explain it. I should take some photos. I'm going to buy more bags once the rain lets up!

5. probarrelracer

probarrelracer Senior Member+

$8 per bag?!?! I use the same bedding, but we have a large trailer for bedding, and it costs $25 to fill the whole thing! It lasts for about 2 months, and we fill our stalls about a foot deep. There are only two problems with rice hulls. They sometimes bring mice, and they tend to keep a few seeds that will grow when you spread your manure outside.

6. Shannon

Shannon Senior Member+

Whoa, that's interesting. Great info!

7. POA

POA Senior Member

Never heard of them, but if they work that well I'll have to see if I can get them around here.

8. Top Dun

Top Dun Senior Member+

When I worked at the race track in Southern Louisiana, rice hulls were used almost exclusively by almost all trainers in all barns. It is relatively dusty though at times.

9. CJ

CJ Senior Member+

Anheuser Busch used to bag them and sell as a byproduct of the brewery. The other neat thing about rice hulls- and I tested it- is they basically Dont Burn.

10. LotsOfSavvy

LotsOfSavvy Senior Member+

Anybody have pictures of this stuff??? Pics of a stall with it? Sounds interesting.