Anyone really good with, IT, wifi, etc?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lopinslow, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

looking at a way to make cameras work better in the barn, and i'm NOT good with IT stuff.

this was recommended to me
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE2...ie=UTF8&qid=1518187064&sr=8-1&keywords=cpe210

for Wifi, we use a Verizon Jetpack in the house. the House is approximately 350 feet from the barn (metal pole barn), with a few trees, Bushes in between

I have 2 cameras in the barn now, and had to buy antenna extensions to put on the roof so the Camera system monitor can pick them up in the house (have to have the monitor near that side of the house and ideally by a window)

I bought 2 more of the cameras so I can put 4 up in the barn, but the company does not seem to carry the antenna extenders any longer, and Ideally I would like to get away from using them, as the lines are short and I need the cameras up higher than I want so they will reach.

what would be the best way to do this?
    would a range extender send the camera signals better to the house., or does that Monitor need to be in the barn?
    Move the jetpack to the barn, or get a second one?

would really like to get all 4 cameras in the barn working, and be able to watch them on a monitor in the house (I do have 2 monitors for the system)

suggestions?

2. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

If you can get the 4 cameras working on one “server” then send that signal to the house it’s your best bet.

Something like this centralized in the barn in an area that can send signal out:
    (SUPPORTS IP and 4 HD COAX TECHNOLOGIES) 32 Camera COMBO 1080p High Definition DVR/NVR with Internet & Cell Phone Viewing (Supports ALL CCTV, HD-CCTV, TVI, AHD and IP Cameras)

All the cameras go to that device first then the output is to your place of viewing - in the home etc. this means you can sync everything to one device that device send the feed and etc etc

You may need to look into a better WiFi router as they make some with exceptional range. This way you don’t have to setup a second network in the barn to send to you

Here’s a link with reviews: Top 10 Best Long Range Wireless Routers in 2018 - All Best Wifi Router

Edit to add: I work in the security field so knowledge of cctv is needed if I can help by explaining something more or breaking it down let me know

3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Thank You! Price for that one unit.. ouch!

If my cameras are Wi-Fi, could I use one monitor in the barn, then a Wi-Fi extender in the barn to send the signal to another monitor in the house?

4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I'll avoid the conversation about the cameras and recording, etc., as those are not my forté. Relative to your network, that 350' is a a substantial distance for "normal" WiFi type setups. It's actually beyond copper wired Ethernet, too, which has a 300 meter limit. Fiber can go miles, but $$$$$. For best wireless results between your home and the barn, a wireless connection with directional antennas designed for outdoor use will best handle the connectivity. That would require two units; one in the barn and one in your home. These preferably would have separate radios for the local WiFI in the barn and the connection between the units. I believe that rheinbeck is correct that having your cameras report to a recording server in the barn first and then having that server communicate to you in your home is the most efficient way to handle things. And I'd make that connection from the server to the wireless gateway a wired connection for best performance, too. IE...cameras use WiFi to communicate to the server, but the server talks to your house via a hard-wired connection to the wireless transmitter at the barn.

rhinebeck likes this.
  5. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

Jim gave the best setup but yes, route the cameras to one unit and have the unit send to the house. This way instead of trying to route each camera to the house you’re centralizing it to one module.