Anyone good at reading x rays? Can you teach me?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Touch the Sky, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

Is anyone here pretty decent at reading x rays? I ask because I have Rhaegar's, and I have the diagnosis but I have no idea HOW we got the diagnosis of that makes sense. I want to learn to read the images but I don't even know where to start. So I was thinking maybe some of you lovely people could help me out? Diagnosis is: no rotation in the hood and no arthritis in the knee But how do you tell?? IMG_6665.jpg IMG_6666.jpg IMG_6667.jpg IMG_6669.jpg IMG_6668.jpg

Attached Files:

2. slc

slc Senior Member

You really should sit down with your vet and have him or her explain it. What's the diagnosis?

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Radiologist and vets study for 8 years to diagnose problems and read images and the great news is that your vet does not see anything abnormal in your horses xrays.

No rotation means that the angle of the coffin bone in the hoof is parallel to the hoof wall.

No arthritis means that the edges of the joints are smooth and clean.

You paid your vet a good some of money so font be afraid to ask them to show and explain their DX.

4. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Agree! I'm halfway decent at reading x-rays, but certainly still took full advantage of my vet's expertise and had him go through all of them with me. He was happy to do so. I even had some questions about what I thought I was seeing on them that he hasn't mentioned, pointed them out, and was put at ease after talking it through with him.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yes, definitely ask your vet, but you can learn a lot by comparison and contrast with bad x-rays and compare them with yours. Keep looking at the bad and back and forth and you'll get a decent idea.

Touch the Sky likes this.
  6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

My dad is a radiologist and my husband is an x ray& ultrasound tech. Even with growing up looking at x rays I STILL have trouble spotting certain things. Your best bet is to sit down with your vet. :)

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Yeah, you need your vet. To me it is rotated when I compare to my horse's x-ray. Maybe its because of the angle of yours. Also interesting in the difference of the quality of the x-rays. foxyx-ray2.jpg

Attached Files:

8. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I thought the same thing about the quality, but I think OPs are photos of actual films, not digital.

ETA and I'm thinking if the vet says there is no rotation, the reason the hoof rads look like there might be is because of the palmar angle. If you compare the coffin bone to what we can see of the hoof wall, they look parallel (OP, your vet would have taken measurements and angles to determine if they are truly parallel). The Palmar angle looks positive to me though, which was throwing off my eye, and would mean the horse likely has tall heels and could benefit from some trimming changes.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

These images are taken by two separate modalities, different angles and the second horse is standing on a platform wearing shoes with a wedge pad..... they are going to look different.

It again please take your questions to your vet. They are used to their equipment and techniques in Imaging.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  10. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

Yes he does have wonky heels that we are working on correcting.

LoveTrail and DocsLglyBlonde like this.