Anyone ever use Cody James Dymondback rasps?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by foxtrot, Mar 10, 2019.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

After another round with another disastrous farrier (either all farriers in my area suck or they don't even bother to try to balance minis because they aren't REAL horses. Seriously this guy says he "normally does real horses" I guess mine are unicorns) I'm left with no choice but to trim feet myself again.

I know how to trim but I don't like doing it because a) I have a bad back and b) mini feet are horrid to trim compared to big feet due to only being able to do it one handed.

In my helpless googling I came across these rasps that supposedly are able to be used one handed and are recommended for people without tons of strength. And the best part is they have a mini size too.

They're "only" $60 so I think I will try one regardless but I was curious if anyone has ever used one before since I can't really find any reviews to speak of... ominous... but hey it's only money. :rolleyes:

Dymondback Rasp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Then again I just found the same type of rasp made for woodworking and not marketed to horse people for $16. Maybe I'll try that first. What could go wrong :rofl:

[​IMG]

3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Wood rasps aren't strong enough--ask me how I know. ;)

Personally, I like the Bellota rasp that Big Dee's sells. Inexpensive, but good quality and sharp.

I've seen discussions on the Dymondback rasp, and it is a clear love it or hate it kind of thing. I'm not willing to drop that much money on something I may hate.

foxtrot likes this.
  4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I've seen them on Facebook and been curious about trying it myself but haven't wanted to spend the money as I have a good farrier, I just like to do touch ups in between visits (when my back can tolerate it lol). Following to see if anyone has hands on experience with then!

foxtrot likes this.
  5. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

A friend gifted me a short rasp once. I hated it. Just awkward an inefficient. I put mini feet between my calves close to ankle height. They can handle standing and I can use both hands. Good nipper skills help too. I do 95% of my work with nippers and knife on minis. I've learned to manipulate my nippers one handed. You can also get nipper springs if you're not good at the one handed stuff.

6. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Yeah, getting them between my legs doesn't really work for me. Having a one handed nipper would solve a lot of my issues. I even have an extra small nipper, but still can't use it one handed. Can you elaborate on what you mean by nipper springs? I googled and only see stuff for human fingernails lol.

I CAN use a standard rasp, it's just so taxing, I was hoping for something less so. Either a faster rasp or a one handed nipper sound pretty fantastic.

7. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Google 'hoof nipper spring'

The first pic is what I'm familiar with. The second is a nipper with the spring built in.
    W Brand Nipper Spring.jpg Nipperwithspring.jpg
    Other than that I have been really happy with Heller Legend rasps. The first couple trims are a little hard but once they break in I love them. I really want a good plane but can't justify the price haha

foxtrot likes this.
  8. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I've wondered about the Cody James rasps since they pop up on my Facebook feed pretty often. I just got a Bellota mini rasp, so far I'm liking it, its pretty easy to handle and its nice and sharp.

On the topic of nippers, I just happened across some one handed foal nippers, I bet it would be pretty easy to put a spring on it like @JStorry was talking about and it would be perfect for minies!
    [​IMG]

equinitis likes this.
  9. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

So today I bit the bullet and bought both a Cody James rasp and one of those nipper springs. Time to cross my fingers and pray I didn't waste money. :LOL:

I'll post with my results once the rasp is here!

10. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it :D, I probably would have ordered it by now but it hasn't haunted my Facebook feed in a few weeks lol out of sight out of mind :rolleyes: