1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Anyone ever ridden in a Frank Baines Elegance or Reflex?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by froglander, Feb 5, 2012.

1. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Just still pondering saddle options, and I am taking a look at dressage saddles. Has anyone ever ridden in either of these Frank Baines models? What did you think?

2. anheiraboutme

anheiraboutme Senior Member

Capilet owns one! :)

I've never personally ridden in one but the quality is really nice.

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Capilet has one. I think Jim_in_PA used to have one.

4. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Capilet, if you happen to see this thread, do you like your Frank Baines saddle? I think you have the Reflex? Do you find you are able to sit in a good, balanced position over your feet?

5. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Not me...I have Forestier and Prestige saddles. That said, folks do say nice things about Baines.

6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Okay, thanks!

I really liked the quality of the Enduro that I tried, so am curious to try another Frank Baines saddle, just wondering if anyone had any experience with either of those. The Enduro was really close to fitting, so I'm getting there, I hope!

7. RobinL

RobinL Senior Member

Check with Trumbull Mountain in VT www.trumbullmtn.com. They carry FB saddles and are very good with long distance fitting so could probably help you out in this department....

8. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Yup, that is who I have been working with, and how I tried the Enduro :)

Just wanted to see if anyone here had first hand experience with either of those models :)

9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I just remembered you had niiiice saddle :)

10. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member

I do own the Reflex dressage. I obviously mention that too often though!! :blushing:

The simple answer is I love mine, I feel balanced and comfortable in it and it fits both me and the Yellow Land Whale well (not easy to do). We own two other dressage saddles, and for my build (apple/boy shaped, no bum, long hip to knee, smaller hips) the Baines is leaps and bounds above both. The Wintec 500 we have has the notoriously too far forward stirrup bars and puts me in a horrid chair seat. The Niedersuss is a much nicer saddle, but as the shape of the seat pan doesn't fit me as well, I end up tipping forward in it, despite it putting my leg in a good spot.

This is not a shot I like to share as its hideous for ten thousand reasons, but you can see that despite Cay bracing against my hands and pulling like an upside down train, my leg is still mostly where it belongs. This was our first dressage test together in 2010 :rolleyes: I was about 195 when this was taken.

[​IMG]

Jaunting around the show grounds that same year at a different schooling show:

[​IMG]

(Channelling her inner Belgian)
    [​IMG]

ETA: This is me recently in the Niedersuss (on our project mare). Its not a bad fit, its just not quite perfect.

[​IMG]