Anyone else seeing large lots of foals showing up in their area?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jul 21, 2018.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Trying to track down more information on the foals that are showing up in MO near me. 3 batches so far.

Hearing from others that these foals are coming off reservations in NM, or AZ. Not sure, I talked to the Rangeland Manager for Laguna Reservation and he said that there haven't been any roundups, and no horses have been sent to slaughter.

These foals are being given away free after the mares go to slaughter, one woman got a foal with umbilical cord still attached that her vet said was at most 48 hours old and that was after it had been trucked 14 hours or so with 79 other foals. Others were also seen with umbilical cords attached.

We have been told there have been foals in two places in Kansas, Hutchinson and Peabody. Other areas said to have had roundups mentioned the Dakotas and WY or MT. And there has to be others. Last we heard there were 400 more on the way, all foals and all very, very young.

It is unknown where they are coming from for sure at this point. But they have to be coming from somewhere.

And people have said that some of these foals are being picked up in lots from Jamesport and sent to other states after making the nightmarish trip to MO.

Can all of you keep your eyes open and your ears open to see if you are seeing large batches of foals come in?

These had falsified Coggins, no health papers either.

CoffeeBean and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

We have only one livestock auction, that ever deals with horses, about an hour and a half away from me and they had just one horse auction two years ago. I doubt any will be shipped this far east.

meljean and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I'm only aware of the Peabody foals. Back in May, people networking to rescue picked up like 12 foals from somewhere in MO... claiming they were "PMU" foals and spouted off a bunch of nonsense that sounded like a cross between and backyard nursemare and PMU operation. Ridiculous really. Of course, she got defensive when I called her out on the story with facts and cited legit sources. What can ya do.... I kind of wonder if the May foals were the beginning.

meljean, Alsosusieq2 and CoffeeBean like this.
  4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Going to Kingsville auction 2nd Sat of next month. I will check there. What makes no sense to me is sending them here to the Midwest. Hay prices have gone through the roof and tripled in price with our really late spring. No undergrowth and half as many bales out of the fields. I saw Crabgrass roundbales selling for $140. People are stealing roundbales out of fields during broad daylight. No one is going to want these foals if they have to give an arm and leg to feed the head they already have. And SO many of them! Makes me sick.

meljean and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Yes..that was the beginning of this all. That was the first batch.

There were foals in Peabody, KS from the 2nd load, maybe 20?

6. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Thinking they had had this lined up for some time, contracted to get X number of loads maybe and couldn't pull out. And many of them were taken out of this state too.

7. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Don't know, have had them sent to SC and to NY too, no telling where rest ended up.

manesntails likes this.