Anybody have a great source for mats?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by tlwidener, Apr 16, 2018.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I have a 12x40' space that needs mats. For now I'll have one 12x20' stall, and two 12x10' stalls. Concrete floor.

I'm sure there are better mats than what TSC or similar stores sells.

I'm thinking I need 3/4" mats. Interlocking would be nice. Not particular about the tread.

Anybody have a great source for mats? One piece would be great.

Small budget... but want to do it right if possible.

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I always got mine at Cashmans when I went to QH congress. But, their store is in OH, so probably too far for you.

MzCarol likes this.
  3. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Our local craigslist has an industrial resale/ resupply site on it. Things like wood from tractor trailers and bowling alleys, highway barriers, tarps, mats I think Ive seen mentioned. Snow fence.. cyclone fence, pretty much you name it+-. I know Ive seen things mentioned for horse barns, and I think its bot the wood and the mats. Search your mats on CL near you and see if it or something similar comes up.

tlwidener likes this.
  4. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

I bought my last mats from a place that sells industrial restaurant mats. They are 3/4" interlocking grid mats.

Actually DH found the website, so I don't know the name of the company.

My 1/2" grid mats from TSC lasted nine years, I expect these new mats to outlast me:)

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

You won’t find ones that are all one piece - and if you did, you wouldn’t want them. Each 4’x6’x3/4” weighs 100 lbs - so imagine what a 10x12 ‘ piece would weigh - how would you ever get it off the delivery truck, into the barn and into the stall??

Anyways, if you’re working on a budget, I would look for some used ones, or TSC unfortunately. You won’t find anything cheaper. Your cheaper mats will have a very high quantity of recycled rubber, and not all that recycled rubber will be from the same source (ie: all tires). You’ll end up with various odds and ends of things made of rubber, so what happens with these mats is that they don’t all melt/mould/hold-up in the same manner. This is why you have some edges that curl, spots that stretch & small holes in random places.

If you want to go with something that’s more funds, check out EcoFlex products. Their stuff is really nice, very well made, will hold up long term, but you’ll pay quite a bit more than TSC. They do ship all over Canada & the US - so maybe worth a quote?

6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I have a tractor with a loader ;) also a skid steer and a fork lift and a mini excavator.

I'm not worried about weight :)

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Remember they are also going to be all one size - how would it even fit in a dry van???? How would you get strapping around it & lift it up high enough within the dry van even if it did fit? There's a reason it isn't done ;)

There's also NO machine on this planet that can make any solid rubber wider than 6.5'........and as of yet no one has found a way to seam anything that works to hold up under a large animal. Large machinery rubber is a different sorry as it's not made in the same manner - but no livestock person would ever use that stuff.

8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Maybe you could rhino line your stalls :rofl:

9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

On the topic of using one big piece vs. piecing together, you can easily level stall, put mats in wall to wall, cut to size so you get every spot filled, and then seal between them. My farrier's hubby did this with their new stalls, not sure if it was some epoxy or what, I'd have to ask, but they did this....3 years ago I think and haven't had one issue.

I have recycled rubber belting from the conveners at my work, and once it stops pouring rain here we will be cutting and fitting to size in each of my girls stalls and then I plan on using one of our anchoring epoxies to seal in between.

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I used conveyer belting for mats. The only downfall is i had to bed deep bc they were really slippery.