Any Corgi Owners on Here?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lucky_pine, Jan 28, 2017.

1. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I am obsessed with Corgis! Here in the next couple years I'd really like to buy a Pembroke Corgi so I have someone to hike with. Anyone have one on here or have any experience with one? I've met a few and have loved their personalities, and the one friend of mine just adores hers. I've never liked the smaller dogs but they just don't have that small dog feel to them. Big dog in a small package, it's a win win.

maggiesmom and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't they have kinda short legs for hiking?

When I was a kid, the guy who sold newpapers at the Harvard Square Kiosk had a Corgi. Everyone loved that dog. He'd sit on the counter on the end and just glow with all the attention he got. He went everywhere with his owner. You never saw him without the Corgi, but there was no hiking uneven terrain involved. More like sidewalks.

They're very cool dogs and I wouldn't mind having one myself, I just wouldn't think Corgi and hiking in the same sentence.

Rainbowaholic likes this.
  3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I want one. So. Bad. :loveflag:

I'm interested in responses. I, too, have heard of people taking them hiking and running. They were bred to herd cattle, correct? Hence their low stature to avoid kicks? I like that they are smaller dogs, but not tiny, seem sturdy, and can also be active. I can't decide between a Pembroke and Cardigan, and haven't really nailed down the differences between the two, aside from the obvious physical differences.

4. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member

I just got a pup on short legs that I'm hoping will be my hiking buddy. She's built a lot like a corgi, so I did a bit of research on hiking with corgis and their physical limitations in general. People seem to have no problem taking their corgis on long hikes, but I have read that you should avoid allowing them to jump over logs etc. so that they don't end up hurt where it could have been easily avoided. Another thing I read multiple times was to never put a backpack on them since their backs cannot handle that kind of weight bearing.
    Here's a picture of my pup for the fun of it. Believe it or not she's a Husky x Dachshund mix! She is all husky minus the legs and coloring, though. If anything I think I'll gave a hard time keeping up with her on hikes LOL. As a side note, people even successfully hike with their Dachshunds!

Attached Files:

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

DriftwoodsQHs likes this.
  6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

They're bred for herding, and like has been mentioned, they're pretty sturdy dogs. My hiking doesn't consist of much tough terrain, mostly groomed (or somewhat groomed) trails at the National Parks around me. To be realistic, even getting out and walking my town would satisfy me. I just want something to go with me, more or less, whatever works best for us. I'm no mountain climber, haha!

I'm not sure there is much difference between a Pembroke and a Cardigan aside from their tails. I'd much rather have a naturally docked tail, which is why I'm considering a Pembroke over a Cardigan.

Driftwood, your doggy is beautiful! Not what popped into my head when you said those two breeds, wow!

7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Depending on the individual dog as well, I may take him (definitely going to buy a male when the time comes) on my shorter travel jobs as well. Really depends on the personality and needs of the individual dog though. There are a couple people I have worked with that bring their dogs with. It'd be nice to do that, but not getting hopes up.

8. joce

joce Senior Member

We have two. I grew up with them.

They are great dogs. I would not get them for hiking. They need exercise but tire fairly easily where my cattle dog can go go go. I always carried ours on our long walks towards the end.

DM is one thing that is easily tested for and don't buy from someone who doesn't. Bleeding disorders and hips are tested for but never seen one that actually had the issue. But I've seen many put down for DM.

Cardigans seem a bit more laid back to me. I'd love one someday. Pems are more go and excitable in my experience.

9. MissApril

MissApril Senior Member

I used to baby sit for a family that had one in high school. It was the meanest dog! It would get on the table where the kids would be eating and steal their food from them. Then she would try to bite if you came near her. I got a job at the vet nearby and they would bring her there when they had the cleaners come because she would try to get them too. I'm sure this was not typical for the breed.

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member

My 16 year old son has been obsessed with them for years! I know the day he moves out, he's getting one (hubby his off the charts allergic to dogs).