Antares trees

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by SonnyPony, May 17, 2018.

1. SonnyPony

SonnyPony Full Member

Where could I find info about the trees in the higher end saddles like antares, cwd etc? Went on the websites and I see info on panels but not too much on the trees. Are they carbon friber? flexible? What?
    Either of these or similar saddles fit a very broad backed well muscle horse well?

2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Just email one of their reps thru customer service. They can tell you.

3. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

I've purchased both CWD and Antares and I can't recommend either for a broad backed horse. Both were too narrow for my tb (the demos fit, but they couldn't seem to recreate that fit in the ones I ordered that were supposed to be identical to the demo). Their customer service was atrocious and they unapologetically breached the sale contract we signed, so I would strongly warn against buying from either company. My saddle fitter interviewed to be a CWD rep, but she didn't get the job because she said she was most interested in helping people find saddles that fit their horses but the company wanted her to say her priority was making money.

If you're going used, their trees are so variable that you need to try out the actual saddle you hope to buy, you can't count on what is stamped on the flaps.

Any company that pays its reps so that they can visit you for free is just looking to sell a saddle, regardless of how well or poorly their saddles will work for you. If you have one in your area, try to find an independent saddle fitter to help you decide what kind of saddle will work best for you.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    waresbear, cmrtoner and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

On the other hand, my CWD rep is awesome- and my broad backed Connemara x went the best in Antares and Prestige. I have two horses in CWD now and have never been happier with their backs.

Unless you are looking at the Equipe E-Carbon, CwD 2gs, our prestige, all the saddles are on wood trees. Prestige uses composite, Equipe does wood, composite, and carbon, the CWD 2gs is carbon.

I’ve actually found the slimmer panels on the French and Italian makes to fit broad wb backs much bettter than English made saddles. My connx was WIDE and the Antares AO tree was too wide for him and he ended up in a m10 with a -5 panel in front.

If you are looking used, you will need to contact the companies to know exactly how a specific saddle was built. These are custom and there are thousands of combinations possible.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

The high end french saddles are not known for fitting broad flat backs. The trees are just made for such horses.

6. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I’m not sure what this means, but the trees in French saddles are not custom. I assume you mean the trees are “NOT made for such horses.” However, there’s an awful lot of broad, muscular wb backs being ridden in them. Maybe 20 years ago this was true about the tree shape but the CWD carbon tree is almost a hoop tree if you look at it. The shape is made by the panels and those are all different. As are different models - for example the Antares Evolution jump saddle fits wider and flatter than a Classic and the AO tree in that model is downright wide.

I know a lot of THICK dressage horses wearing Equipe saddles. I think it really depends.

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ yes they have different panels, but that is essentially it. They don’t actually change the trees, just the panel design.

As a saddle fitter I disagree with this. The tree shape needs to fit the horse. Sure things can be improved by changing the panels, but the tree should always match the horse for the best fit.

There are many times when I tell clients that the saddle isn’t initially too bad to look at, but the tree design doesn’t match the horse. Then I pull out some bare trees and put them on their horse to demonstraight & they almost instantly get it.

8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

arcon.jpg

I wouldn't call it hoopy, short point and a cut back and open head.

I can appreciate what you're saying @kb1gra and the trees are changing from what they used to be, but there's still a lot of folks who will disagree with the French way of fitting.

*shrug*

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

It’s not overly open at the head plate for my standards.......but the real issue are that the rails are still very angled - so it’s not going to fit a flat backed horse. This tree would suit a horse with a wider wither, a bit of bulk to the trapezius muscle (not still some concavety there), but still with a top line that falls away from the spine. Your stereo typical thick WB or rounder backed horse where the shoulder seamlessly molds into the longisimus - this tree will not work. Sure panels can help and if you have a stoic horse they may very well go ok in it, but anything sensitive, or heaven forbid the sterotypical sensitive chesnut mare and they will have none of it. Lol

I do want to add that I don’t disagree that the french saddles have their place. They are fantastic freaking saddles when they fit! I totally get why riders adore them. I just want them to actually fit what they are on with a nice pad :)

10. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

It's more open than they used to be, I should have been more clear. :)

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.