Another possible horse for my daughter. WP AQHA/APHA mare

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by bnttyra, Nov 28, 2012.

1. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

This one I have seen listed before and I don't know why I didn't take a closer look. Anyway, she is located at a trainer's barn and I do know the trainer and have a friend I used to show with that trains with that trainer. I have asked my friend what she knows about the mare. The owner said that she would be good with a youth rider, may need a trainer with her, but wouldn't hurt her at all. My only concern is that she said the mare sometimes needs more leg to keep her in frame (I am assuming at a lope) but that she, being the owner, isn't very big 4'11" so it may not be that much of a stretch for my daughter to be able to do it.

I did look up an older video on youtube and I really liked her movement. She is negotiable on the price which is good and I think since the mare has been listed for awhile I could get her for what I am willing to spend at this time.

Anyway, take a look and let me know what you think about her. I am waiting to hear from my friend before I contact the trainer and schedule a trip up there, probably not until Christmas break as it is at least a 3-4 hour drive.

http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sale/horse-ad-2627539.html

Edit: My friend got back to me already. She has actually ridden this mare and said she would make a great youth mount. Super cute jog but her lope isn't that great, not horrible but she said she is so used to HUS that anything but that type of lope to her isn't great. So good news that she approves!

2. Reyven

Reyven Senior Member+

I'm not an expert, but what I see:
    She has a steep croup. Her neck seems to tie in high to her chest making her chest look huge. Her legs look a bit thin/unsubstantial for her body type. There's something about her back I don't like, perhaps the little 'sway' in it? Not sure..
    I don't see anything glaring that wouldn't hold up to regular riding, but I probably wouldn't jump her too much (personal preference)
    She looks like a cute mare :)

3. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

Well, we don't do any jumping, at least not on purpose! LOL I am not too concerned about conformation as I don't plan on doing any breeding with her, just looking for a nice gentle registered horse my daughter can show in 4H and open shows for right now. I think she may have some AQHA halter points which is why she looks like a halter horse, someone I think fitted her up as one and used her as one when she was younger. She does have a short thick neck (which I think makes her back look longer) and is high hocked but as long as she can do what I want and stay sound, those things aren't that important to me. I did ask about soundness and was told she has been sound the entire time the lady has owned her and that she does not need any hock injections. Now if it was for me and I was looking for something I could show, than it would be different but for what I am looking for, her conformation isn't a huge deal breaker. Temperament and how trained she is are way more important.

Did you take a look at the video? It is on youtube under Getin Along Famously, there is a good 11 minute long one that shows her movement. I am pretty certain she either won that class or was in the top 2, that is just off of my opinion and only watching about 6 minutes of it.

4. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

And I did ask the owner about possibly leasing as I want to be sure she would be a good fit for my daughter. I am thinking a 3 month lease trial to see how they would get along. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

1 person likes this.
  5. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member+

I like this mare because she looked quiet and sensible. She is long in the back and loin, but she still will be competitive for your daughter IF she has a strong leg on the outside both directions at the lope. That outside leg needs to be there all the time to keep the mare as true as she can be. But my horse is the same way, as with all WP horses. But this mare, because of her quietness and consistency WILL teach your daughter how to ride and is a good place to start if your daughter wants to be competitive. Go check her out! She is super cute!

4 people like this.
  6. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

Thanks! That is what I liked about her too. In the video, there are horses zooming past her and she maintains consistant quiet the whole time. Plus I like how her nose isn't in the dirt but isn't in the air either. My daughter needs to work on using her legs more so this could be a good thing. She was just figuring out my WP mare when I sold her and you definitely had to keep a leg on her at a lope.

7. beat_it

beat_it Senior Member+

I like her. Pretty head. I didn't read anything lol I just looked at one picture, so you can pretty much disregard my opinion, but I like the picture I saw!

8. Reyven

Reyven Senior Member+

Well I definitely can't critique her movement in the video because I do not ride Western and I know Western Pleasure horses are WAY different in movement and cadence than the English horses I ride/have ridden lol
    However she does seem very calm and sensible in the ring. Very relaxed and I think would definitely take care of a youth rider. May need a bit more leg than some horses.

9. SumLikeItHot

SumLikeItHot Senior Member+

Is this the horse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdtw_dNpeQM

Wow, one of the worst joggers I have seen in awhile. I wouldn't want my kid learning the improper feeling of a weak moving horse. I think you can find better... or at least offer less money. Horse is really dumped over and just not moving right IMO. Cute horse, but that isnt going to cut it.

10. Nursestephanie2

Nursestephanie2 Senior Member+

Completely agree. If that horse actually won that class it would because she wasnt AS bad as the rest. Around here... don't think she would place in our breed shows. Small open and 4h sure but nothing too competitive. Depending what you want ...you may want to pass. However she seems pretty kid safe.

1 person likes this.