Another "poor nursemare foal" rescue..founded 2014

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Clearly these foals are coming from some unscrupulous person, and the are in need of care....it doesn't make sense to punish who is trying to care for them.

Ahorse likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Oh okay, thanks. I didn't get exactly what you were saying. Thanks for the clarification. :)

3. GooseIsLoose

GooseIsLoose Full Member

But if they didn't have a market, someone waiting in the wings to pay cash for them, then the demand would go away. "Unscrupulous person"? Who knows, business person that sees money to be made, yes.

You won't find to many people around here that support the kill pen rescues either. It's another farce. No less horses are shipped to slaughter because someone thinks they "saved" some. Again, it's supply and demand.

meljean, CoffeeBean and Varisha like this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The foals wont go away....
    Some might be cared for by the breeder but most will be left to die in the cheapest possible manner as a unwanted expense in the business. The breeder can’t sell these foal for what is cots to raise nor will the rescue collect enough donations or adoption fees to pay for their cost…this is why so many rescues end up needing to be recused.

meljean likes this.
  5. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

So it is OK to NOT talk about 'shady unscrupulous person' who is selling the 'nursemare foals' to rescuer; and who is clearly not caring for the foals. And enabling this to go on each year...
    And if he is inducing the mares would likely result in too many problems getting them on a good footing to act as nursemares: the window hormonally for safely inducing is a bit narrow. Not to mention the sheer number of Nursemares he and his 'group' own and breed annually is mind boggling when actual numbers of Nursemare users are apparently far lower than that.
    http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...d-abortion-proceedings?id=&pageID=1&sk=&date=

But it is OK to talk about Nursemare users in a derogatory manner and blame renters of nursemares for the appalling treatment of these foals (wherever they are coming from)?

I accept the rescuer is saving lives.

I am very sad she is contributing to the profitability of a person whose mares I would not feel comfortable allowing on my farm, let alone renting as a nursemare for a valuable foal if his treatment is an example of how he cares for his stock.

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I want to like this multiple times.

7. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Because it is the racing industry that these people target. TB to be exact. Although they have now added STBs to it.

It's a scam, and a profitable one too.

8. GooseIsLoose

GooseIsLoose Full Member

Many people in the TB industry have chimed in on this subject and stated nurse mare use is far and few in between. Do you think if foals were just being left to die that it wouldn't put a HUGE black eye on the industry and bring it into the light? Why do people directly in the industry question these "nursemare foals"? If there were no buyers then there would be less breeding with no rescue waiting to purchase.

This is why I will never support rescues that have to purchase their animals. They are contributing to the problem, not solving one.

9. meljean

meljean Senior Member

And let's be logical, we have seen what the ARs are trying to do to the NYC carriage horses, seen what they did to Ringling, IF this was a real thing..doesn't it seem like they would be doing their idiocy at the Derby in May?

Nope..won't happen because this "poor orphan nursemare foals" is BS, as well as lcc...in 2014 brought in slightly over 316,000 dollars...that is about 30,000 dollars a MONTH folks...to "save" 200 foals..or less? Please.

Just a scam, targeting people who know nothing about TBs, or foals, or STBs since lcc is trying to throw them under the bus. All of the rescues are.

10. suvisue

suvisue Registered

I am new to this thread so I don't understand the hostility toward someone who wants to help these babies. Nurse mares are a very real thing. A large number are bred and maintained for use by breeders from just about every breed. Many more are bred than are actually used since you have to time mare's production to coincide with the need. I had STBs for years and ran across several of these mares/foals. The time I've seen them used, the mare arrived at the farm with the foal which was immediately taken away so the mare can take care of the 'valuable' foal. When I was there I always found homes for the babies or took them myself, otherwise the vet would put them down. The farm uses the mare the breeds her and returns her. The foals are many times from very well bred stallions since they are bred at the breeding farms, often using the teaser stallions. I would assume the word doesn't get out about this happening because of the money involved with breeding and because of the guilt or ignorance of the people using them. Using nurse mares while the birth mother is taken away for breeding, showing, etc. is not uncommon. I think anyone who helps out these poor little ones should be applauded, not condemned! And the work/cost involved is incredible as anyone who has had even a 'normal' foal knows.