Another "poor nursemare foal" rescue..founded 2014

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jan 7, 2016.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

All you have to do is look at these foals to know the bulk of them are not nurse mare foals. That's flamingly obvious.

Nurse mares are often Thoroughbreds themselves. Some outfits use Draft mares because they are able to produce enough milk for their own and another foal. So generally the offspring will be all thoroughbred or half Thoroughbred.

The nursemare providers I talked to? I don't know what your question down there is even asking. I called up people who lease nurse mares as an organized business.

There are also similar outfits that keep mares for embryo transfer. Again, more mares are needed than transfers actually done.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

But it isn't obvious to the people reading the 'please donate to us for the poor nursemare foals that are dying to support an evil racing/showing industry'.
    They know nothing and believe what they are told.

Frighteningly, I think some of the foal rescues believe their foals are from the nursemare industry and that the industry is evil.

THAT is what I am trying to pull back the curtain on.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

How are you pulling back the curtain? And to whom? Curious not to challenge you, but because I'm curious.

Frankly, I think that it would be better not to play into all the ridiculous exaggeration and demonization MOST issues are getting treated with today. BUT I think people far, far prefer to believe that it's the fault of the evil and far away 'racing industry' rather than looking much closer to home - at backyard breeders and people who don't monitor their own mares...quite often, that's a little TOO close to home.

GentleGiant1 likes this.
  4. Ahorse

Ahorse Registered

I volunteer at this rescue and all I can say is...
    I'm not exactly sure what you guys are so up in arms about, these are motherless foals. Would she really be able to adopt more foals out saying they come as a by product of the racing industry, than saying they are the buy product of the slaughter industry?

The person that started this rescue takes very good care of these foals and spends a great amount of time and money to get them to adopters. Some come in very sick and debilitated.

If you own a horse you know that ANY medical care for a horse is expensive. Some foals need to be tubed, IV fluids, medications, and of course formula. Milk replacer is not cheap and these little guys go thru buckets a day.

Do not make the person that started the rescue a villain when you have not spoken with her nor seen in person what she is trying to do. It is very easy to sit behind a computer and judge others. Society is too disconnected from people interaction that we just want to be able to look it up on the computer and print it off. If you do not want to send money, ok...then maybe give your time to a rescue instead.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I don't feel good today so forgive me, are you saying she does or does not misrepresent where they're sourced at? I'm not getting a clear picture of that.

Edited added - not being snarky at all, I have a fever and didn't fully understand your comment.

JStorry likes this.
  6. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

The rescue already stated.....
    The owner of the rescue also stated....
    The rescue also provided a phone number for anyone with questions to use.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Wow. Shaking my head here. Idk. That seems like there's way too many mares imo..to make it completely believed. Just hmm.

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Entirely possibly the rescue believes it is telling the truth, and the seller of the foals in the first place is the dishonest one, IMHO.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  9. Ahorse

Ahorse Registered

No she does not misrepresent herself. Hope that is clear.
    I was trying to ask..why do people think the by-product of the racing industry is an angle and they have to be from slaughtering bound moms, when I'm Sure if they were truly from slaughter bound moms that would be just as good if not better angle to come from. Look at all the fund raising that happens from the kill pens. Just wondering about the thought process of those pointing fingers.
    Those that feel she is misrepresenting herself, talk to her or come see the operation before going on a rant that she is not what she says she is.

10. Alsosusieq2

Well that's entirely possible. More likely actually.