Another "poor nursemare foal" rescue..founded 2014

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jan 7, 2016.

1. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Thank you.

So the mare owner selling foals to this rescue is receiving $2k annually each (best case scenario) for having a possible nursemare to contract out? And the foals resulting are throw aways?

I'm surprised he can afford the herd.

Colostrum for Foals | TheHorse.com
    I really don't have time to research prices, but
    Foal Immune System-IgG and Plasma - Fox Valley Equine
    if anyone wants to follow up.

Noted that a foal that receives plasma and loses the dam would still like a nursemare, but the colostrum/inducing the nursemare is out of the picture.

Varisha likes this.
  2. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Ugh, I'm on a computer that isn't mine and the mouse is giving me fits. BlueMoonoverKY asked if "any" of the people who post on the rescue threads even have horses. Yes, I do. They're 15 - 29 yo. Yes, I research charities/rescues quite a bit. I was burned very badly years ago when it turned out that a rescue to which I had donated a great deal of money through the years had gone in a direction with which I didn't agree and they even falsified evidence in a court case. It was MY fault for not paying a great deal of attention to what they were doing with the money and the change in philosophy. That was also when I threw myself into learning what, exactly, a 501c3 is legally mandated to tell the public.

I was diagnosed with stage III cancer in 2015. It's left little time for riding. I still worked full-time during treatment (except for recovery from sx) and took care of my horses but no - not much fun. There's only so much bandwidth available. So I felt that reading other threads was sufficient.

3. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

I have a horse. I also grew up with horses. My mother owned a few and one of my aunt's more than a few.

My horse is an OTTB that I bought straight of the track two years ago. No, I don't consider her a rescue. She was purchased directly from her trainer/owner and was in no danger. I'm out on a nearly daily basis to work with her, despite working and being in school.

meljean likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Got that right on the amount of time. Sorry you're going through this and hang in there, sis battled a stage three with a vengeance. That was twenty five years ago and she still worries though, so don't do that to yourself. God bless you for whatever time you feel like investing. Not hugely religious but I believe in positives. Kudos.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  5. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Thank you kindly, Alsosusiq2. It wasn't easy or fun. I was pleased that I felt good enough to help with trail clearing by my local riding club (in association with the local bicyclists) every now and again in 2016. Plus keeping the old beasts fed and housed. Hopefully I can hit the trails this year because I feel up to doing it. But I definitely want to grab a buddy to go with me. Just in case.

Nah. I'm not going to worry too much about it. I let the oncologist do that! So far, so good. I was pleased with the blood results from my physical a few months ago.

6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

i have seen on here that you are a tough lady (the best researcher/ private investigator for sure) and I am sure you will win this battle. I am sorry you're going through this. I look forward to hearing about your many up and coming trail rides.

RelaxMax and CoffeeBean like this.
  7. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Thank you. I hope to be doing so before much longer.

meljean likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

That's true in the long term, but I don't think that's true in the short term.

The nurse mare owners I talked to said if their mare was not leased, she would simply be bred, have a foal, raise it and the foal would be sold as usual. So the mare still 'makes money' even if she isn't leased. 'Makes money' being a relative term in any horse business, LOL.

What I'm suggesting is that the nurse mare providers have, over the years, found a fairly stable number of mares that allow them to accommodate requests and still be profitable.

And short term, also, a nurse mare owner might lease mares as recipients for embryo transfer.

But in 'counting nurse mares' one is going to run into a problem. The number of nurse mares doesn't strictly reflect the number of foals raised by a nurse mare. Critics can use the number of nurse mares to argue that more foals are nurse mare raised than actually are.

The nurse mare herd has to have some extra mares that are 'carried' so one has mares at a couple different stages of pregnancy/lactation at any given time. Not every nurse mare provider will have a mare that is due to foal in September, for example, to accommodate a breeder whose mare died giving birth in September, but some might, and they might have mares foaling in March, April, May, etc.

But I don't think the idea that an unleased nurse mare makes zero income is right at all. That doesn't mean he's going to maintain a herd of 100 when he can only find 7 leasers a year. He is always going to have more mares maintained than get leased for nurse mare in a year, but he's not going to maintain a geometrically higher number of mares than what he can lease.

meljean likes this.
  9. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

"The nursemare providers I talked to..." -slc

Are these people with the kill or sell foals to the rescue mentality nursemare providers the Rescue claims it deals with?

I am trying to draw a line between reality and the sensationalism promoted by the foal rescues that is anti-nursemare, anti-expensive horse breeding and anti-racing especially.

It is my opinion that the Rescue does have foals in need.
    But the origin of those foals is far more shady than an honest nursemare operation.

It is also my opinion that foal rescues may have a game plan for raising foals that is more labor intensive, costs too much and doesn't necessarily address high risk neo-nate foals as it could. And cuts our some more experienced horsemen through odd requirements.

-Another story, though.

10. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

This is the best most truthful statement I've read in a long time.

Now if only we could get the honest origin of the foals in question maybe then fingers would stop pointing!

meljean, Dona Worry and Varisha like this.