Another "poor nursemare foal" rescue..founded 2014

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Jessie Clise , do you feel that if the Jockey Club allowed Artificial insemination that the use of nurse mares would be decreased?

Clearly the motherless foals did not come from no where, whether they came form mares from the TB industry, or from mares waiting to ship from slaughter they are here...and lord knows in todays market it cost more to raise a grade healthy foal on it's dam than what it can be sold for no less an orphan....

2. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

No, that is wrong and because you got that wrong it undermines your credibility. Particularly when the information is found so readily.

The Jockey Club
    2014 20,450* -4.3 1,525* 325* 22,300* -3.8
    2015 20,600* 0.7 1,550* 350* 22,500* 0.9
    2016 20,600* 0.0 1,550* 350* 22,500* 0.0

2005 - 2014
    2005 2013 2014 change since 2005
    Kentucky 10,037 28.6 7,395 34.7 7,620 36.4 -24.1

Here's an article about one named nurse mare breeder. Admittedly it is old (2004 - see how many fewer TBs are being bred between 2005 - 2014) but given how rare it is for a farm to need a nurse mare, it would be stupid to have 100+ bred/year in anticipation of 30 or fewer being needed. Nurse Mares for Hire | TheHorse.com

http://www.hhbnys.org/backend/News/news_upload/BREEDING_20NEWS_2edb.nurse-4411.pdf

Another (old 2007) article about one of the nurse mare suppliers: KMSHA Official Website

2001 - as you can see there are fewer and fewer people who provide nurse mares.
    http://www.equine-embryo-transfer.com/articles/Nurse Mare Farms.pdf

Ghostrider58, DelP and Varisha like this.
  3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Here's an article from 2014:

http://www.keeneland.com/sites/default/files/shared/264296/HagyardNeonatal.pdf

Highlights

"Hagyard’s neonatal intensive care unit — known as NICU — cared for 248 foals in 2014. That’s a small fraction of Kentucky’s 11,000-foal crop for the year, but each foal also represented a significant investment by its owner, whether in money paid for a stud fee or in love for a companion animal."

Note by myself - 11,000 includes all breeds in KY.

"Most of the foals in the unit are Thoroughbreds, and the unit’s big- gest rush occurs between March and May, around the peak of foal- ing season at Kentucky’s commercial Thoroughbred farms, which breed and sell racing prospects. But the unit’s services are open to all breeds and types of horses."

"At the NICU, those practices help save and improve the lives of the youngest Thor- oughbreds with a high level of success: More than 85 percent of the NICU’s patients will recover and return home, says Dr. Nathan Slovis, director of Hagyard’s McGee Medicine Center. “They leave and have a good prognosis,” he said."

"And keeping mare and foal together when- ever possible is one of the hallmarks of Hagyard’s neonatal facility, Brown said."

Yes, they do occasionally have need for a nurse mare but they don't state that they use hundreds of them, despite having some incredibly sick foals to minister (to).

Varisha likes this.
  4. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

Please, do some research instead of just accepting a certain rescues information at face value. The Jockey Club releases it's foal crop reports as so do most large breed associations. For example, the AQHA had a little over 61,000 new registrations in 2015 (which was actually about 7,000 down from the previous year). In comparison, the JC only shows about 20,000 new registrations for both 2015 and 2016. The AQHA has 3x the new registrations as the JC and so a much larger foal crop.

If you go to KY, where a large portion of the TB breeding farms are, you can tour the farms. You can see for yourself that mares and foals aren't separated just to have the mare bred (the mare also can be breed after her foal heat by the way). You can also talk to the people running these farms and find out first hand how and when they use or need nurse mares. There are also a few prolific and very, very expensive mares (Zenyatta for example) who have quite a following online (meaning you can follow them and their foals via video and pictures). These mares are only separated from their foals for health issues (injury, failing to produce milk etc.) or death.

Please, actually do some real research. In the end the only ones you are hurting by spreading false and hurtful information are the horses.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    CoffeeBean and Varisha like this.
  5. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Numbers have been dropping for a long time - just in case the link doesn't work for her.

1990 40,333 -8.2 3,193 617 44,143 -7.5
    1991 38,151 -5.4 3,025 628 41,804 -5.3
    1992 35,051 -8.1 2,777 610 38,438 -8.1
    1993 33,822 -3.5 2,713 605 37,140 -3.4
    1994 32,118 -5.0 2,591 632 35,341 -4.8
    1995 31,884 -0.7 2,446 653 34,983 -1.0

This has it broken down by the decade:

Jockey Club Fact Book

Sempiternal and Varisha like this.
  6. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

This is from the 2015 AQHA report (https://www.aqha.com/media/10193/2015-aqha-annual-report.pdf).

2015 Registrations
    $4,692,043

I think it was $40/foal for members and it's more for non-members (no idea how much), but at any rate - there are more AQHA's registered than Thoroughbreds. Even in Kentucky.

Number of AQHA's noted as being owned in Kentucky in 2015 (admittedly that is where the owner resides but let's overlook that for now):
    Kentucky

I'm pretty willing to bet that most of those foals that are being procured by the truckload are actually due to the horses that have been abandoned and are breeding throughout the KY.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/16RS/HC101/SCS1.pdf

Varisha and Sempiternal like this.
  7. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

The JC hasn't registered 50K foals since the 80's and have been decreasing dramatically. Standardbreds were a high of 24K int he early 90's to barely 6K now. Heck, the Standardbreds are worried there won't be enough foals born to keep tracks alive.

I would bet a dozen doughnuts that these "nurse mare foals" are actually foals dropped at slaughter/kill pens. Mom ships to slaughter and babies make more bucks by some sketchy "rescue" claiming "Evil Race Horse Industry" while getting people, who honestly do want to help, to open their wallets. Would people still help out the foals if these "rescues" just spoke the truth. Why malign an entire industry when the truth would still work? Either greed or hubris, but either way, it is wrong and eventually karma will take care of these lying "rescues". You can't keep lying and expect people to keep buying lies when the sheer amount of evidence and facts prove these "rescues" are liars.

8. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I vote for greed. Plus people are more inclined to open their wallets when someone names A Villain. They get to feel self-righteous in addition to sad that there is a need for foals to be rescued.

9. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Eleventh Hour Foal Haven Inc
    2030 Shallow Well Rd
    Manakin Sabot, VA
    23103-2010

• Employer Identification Number (EIN) / Tax ID
      47-2876265
    Oy. Another one that takes in less than $25,000/year (self-reported) and therefore there is no way to find out how they spend it. May have the perfect business model but no way to know. Makes it easy for me to keep my money in my wallet rather than being tempted to donate it.

Goochland on my mind: Of horses and dogs I like what Ned said!

"The dissenting neighbor, who bought her property well after the Swift Creek School of Equitation was established, complained (in person to the planning commission and in writing to the supervisors) about noise, odors, and alleged trespassing of riders. District 3 Supervisor Ned Creasey observed that was a little like “buying a house next to the railroad tracks and complaining about train noise.”

Ball's in your court, Jessica. Convince us to part with our cash. Posting your 501c3 application online would be a good start (form 1023). It's one of the documents that you're legally obligated to share with the public if asked, so be proactive and post it. It would put your organization miles ahead of the rest.

Where Can I Find a Nonprofit's Form 1023?

Here's another nurse mare foal business. As you can see from the prices on the foals, they are hardly "throwaways". Not only that, nurse mares have to be in very good health in order to BE useful. Why would anyone want to purposely breed a lousy foal off of a good healthy mare particularly when you never know if there will be a need for her? It's much smarter to breed for a foal that will be saleable.

JNP Horses - Nurse mares and horses in Oklahoma, Texas, South Central U.S.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Ghostrider58 and Varisha like this.
  10. Jessie Clise

Jessie Clise Registered

I had actually never seen this post!! Also - I have not gotten foals from LCC. My foals come directly from a nurse mare farm in Moorhead, Kentucky. Those were my foals. I'm not sure why it says they came from LCC. As stated in mrevious response