Another of Mane's STB Harnesses.

Discussion in 'Horse Classifieds' started by manesntails, Jan 13, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

This one is Old, Well used, but still good for a light BROKE horse on a light Cart or for line driving.
    NOT to use for racing or in rough territory where maximum stress would be on it. NO Marathon racing in it~!! :p
    *** the beauty of this harness is the LINES.***
    This harness has a set of STB lines with Handholds. You can drive in mittens, just put your four fingers in the handholds, thumb on the outside, and you can drive a racehorse a 2 minute mile in -10 degrees in a snow storm~!! and have total control~!! :X3:
    I never left the barn without handholds on my lines. :D Hey, ya never know what might happen on a track with 50-60 other horse on it all at the same time.

No britchin. Not for going up and down hills either because you don't have britchin.

It has some blemishes, a bug chewed the finish on one of the tie downs but they are still thick and good, just have a tiny bit of leather removed. You don't see it once you're tied to the cart.

PICT0911.JPG

If you look real close, it's that tie on the left bottom in the picture, it's more brown than black now.

PICT0912.JPG

$200 bucks includes a BLUE backpad AND that INCLUDES SHIPPING~!! It's going to cost me around 60 bucks to ship it.
    There's no bridle with this one but......I can put one together for you for another $15 bucks, if you want, so, with the bridle and a bit $215.

Purdy, ain't it? :D

froglander likes this.
  2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Now that I asked you to send my stuff already...

I don't need a harness, but I do need a harness bridle and driving bit.

Any chance you can find something for me? (No rush, I have a ton of work to do on my cart and myself before I can drive)

3. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Pardon my blondeness, but how does a cart tie into this harness? I'm used to the metal attachments where the arms just sort of "click" in. And would you figure it would hold up to my ex-racer pacer who might get a little strong? She's well broke, but she has some speed. I'm figuring she might enjoy being put into harness here and there on flat roads and pathways.

Also, open to shipping to Canada?

4. manesntails

Yah, I can put you a bridle together, no problem.

You're used to the Quick hitch.
    Pardon my french, they suck. They take the pull off the chest, where it BELONGS, and put ALL the pull on the horse's back. They suck, they sore horses.

You have two shafts. You take the tie downs which are hanging down from the bottom of the girth, right and left, and use those to tie to your cart or bike with.

Put the shafts through the tugs Rounded thingies hanging from the back pad, put the thimble on the shaft end, then bring your ties up and behind the tug, over and around to the front of the tug, back under, up and over behind the tug, then down to the buckle and buckle it down. Go do the same on the other side, and, when you pull up on the tie to start, reach under the horse's neck and push down on the first shaft you wrapped so that the harness is snug to the cart. If you don't do that you get too much motion “play“ in the cart.

I'm sure there's a video somewhere on youtube on how to tie down a harness to a regular cart without a quick hitch.

5. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

You wrap the ties, I was taught to do a figure 8 pattern on the shaft

I’ve used both quick hitch and this - also team driving in drafts always wrapped

66B29D8A-3357-40E0-A9CA-C7B999B4D735.png

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Oooooh I want it SO BAD.
    But I DON'T KNOW how big Quest is going to get, or where to even look for a cart that would go with them....

7. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Craigslist.

But probably not a good idea to buy a harness specifically stated good for a well broke horse and a light cart....to use on a horse that's never driven before. ;)

But seriously, check out Craigslist for carts and harnesses. Quest will probably turn out to be roughly an average horse size, so just make sure you stay away from anything that says mini, pony, cob, or draft.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Whoops! Missed that. Just thought it looked nice!

Faster Horses likes this.
  9. manesntails

Depends how much leather you have to work with. Two back, one front; two wraps behind, then two in front. We have pretty long cinch straps.

rhinebeck likes this.
  10. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

I’ll have to try that next time I drive Juno - my beta ties are long

manesntails likes this.