Another controversial rescue case

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Whoa, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yeah, their charity and kindnesses is showing allll over everywhere. :cool:

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but this...
    [​IMG]
    doesn't look like a miserable-unto-death animal. He looks bright. Perky. Good weight, good flesh, heck even his hocks look almost level.
    Sure, he is standing funny on his fake hoof. But I mean, are you going to bash EVERY owner of a lame horse?
    I can think of a few members who have posted videos of obviously lame horses. As long as he is getting up and down on his own, moving around under his own power and eating well, I am not going to bash people for merely keeping him alive. No, it sure isn't what I would have done, but he isn't my horse. There is nothing about this story that makes me shout cruelty to animals.

NaeNae likes this.
  3. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

To be fair, I think the vet is quite reputable and I want to think they are doing right by him. He looks "ok" to me as well.

At the beginning of this story? I absolutely do not think he was getting proper care, they had several "ultimatums" designed to drum up donations (they failed, never went viral - thanks rural Alberta).

ginster, Dona Worry and secuono like this.
  4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It’s not okay to force a horse to gimp around on a critically damaged, mangled leg forever. He’s standing in a way to specifically keep all weight off that leg. That says it still hurts. That says the prosthetic isn’t supporting it well. Prosthetics tend to be paintful, anyway, even in humans.

Not being able to bear weight on that leg means that he’s shifting that load elsewhere. That means he likely has body soreness elsewhere, too.

Sure, he’s got his ears forward and he’s alert in that picture, but it’s far from telling us that he’s living a-okay and is just fine. It’s just a brief moment in time.

No horse should be kept in pain ever.

secuono likes this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I think he looks so much better than he did and I am glad he is under veterinary care (more than i can say for many horse/animal owners and even some have been on this forum) and they have the appropriate resources to treat him without begging for money.
    There are ways to manage pain long term. If he was in that much pain, there would be plenty of other symptoms and he would not be eating as much, his bcs would be poor, nor would his coat look as good as it does and he would not be out walking around at will.
    I have seen a horse with a much worse knocked down hip due to a serious injury,when he fell on concrete and it permanently affected him, live a full and healthy life and benefit from body work that I provided...he is still alive and giving lessons for people to learn.
    Shoot, I hurt every day and my body, despite my best efforts, doesn't always work like it should. Once upon a time, i was in so much pain my husband had to pull me out of bed every day. Glad noone tries to euthanize me.
    Heck, this double amputee US MARINE just ran 31 marathons in 31 days. I'm sure it can hurt. A lot.
    Veteran who lost both legs completes 31 marathons in 31 days, runners trailing his every step

6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

You do realize that people make the decision to go on living for themselves. There are also people who choose to die rather then suffer.
    This horse was being kept alive by people who wanted a pat on the back. They are known frauds who try to exploit people's compassion for military gain.

Before this horse was turned over to the new owners his leg was literally duct taped. Showing clear signs of irritation, infection and excruciating pain.
    The remaining bone is most likely still degrading but they possibly are treating the previously untreated infection in the bone.
    The previous owners where not treating the injuries properly and had no intention of changing that. If they had done the right thing and treated the horse properly from the start his leg would not look like a tree trunk.

We also have doubts the horse was even a "wild" horse from the beginning. Injured or not no feral intact male horse would let 2 people approach, halter, blanket and load them in a trailer. Lots of people have money on this horse being an abused stud these two crazy woman dumped in the woods then realized they could cash in on his injury when people noticed him limping around.
    Their plan failed. Caleb may be getting care now but he is not going to live a healthy life.
    As the years go buy his 3 legs are going to feel the strain of supporting his weight. The stub is most likely going to get soars and repeated infections and he is most likely going to have to be put down.
    He might even die from a slip on the ice in the winter from having the prostetic.

mooselady and secuono like this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I followed this thread from the start and was horrified about the poor guy´s "treatment" for the longest time.
    While *I* would still make the decision to put him down (would have the moment I saw he is missing parts of his leg), I too think that he looks alert and seems to be in good shape overall...
    I hope that his current owner and the vet would make the decision to end his life if he started to deteriorate again.
    But for right now, it seems that he is in expert hands and receiving the extra care he needs.
    Over the years on this forum I have seen a lot of horses in worse condition with their owners thinking nothing of it.

PyroTekNik333 and BluemoonOKy like this.
  8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

So, just because other people make bad decisions, it’s okay to keep these horse alive and in pain? Because there is no way that he doesn’t have pain. :no:

Also find it ironic that fits can be thrown about poor horseman keeping feet less than perfect. But keeping a horse alive who has no hoof left at all is perfectly all right.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I didn´t say it is alright.
    I said he looks better and finally seems to be getting proper vet care and feed.
    I said I would put him down if it was up to me. As it is: at least he better cared for now.
    That was all I said.
    Reading for comprehension and all that....

Dona Worry and PyroTekNik333 like this.
  10. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

The vet clinic in charge of Caleb’s care posted an update today....

These are the quality of the pics, very grainy photos were posted.

Attached Files: