1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Another controversial rescue case

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Whoa, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yes-!! Couldn't remember what it was called - really hilarious comparing the first passed on to the last persons message. :)

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Yes-!! Couldn't remember what it was called - really hilarious comparing the first passed on to the last persons message. :)
    Ain't that the truth. Some people came by who wanted to spread some ashes of their mother on the pasture, as she had lived on this land for many years.

And when my husband took that message, their mother was somehow miraculously transformed into - the family dog.

Imagine how they responded, when I came out of the house, eager to give them a hug, and tell them that they were welcome to spread the ashes OF THEIR DOG on the pasture.

Oh imagine if you will, how that little faux pas colored the remainder of our interaction, and how pleasantly it wound up.

And imagine, if you will, how pleasant the interaction was that I had with my husband afterwards.

3. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

Good freaking lord.

DELANEY'S IS NOT THE ORIGINAL VET OF THIS HORSE. They were NOT the vet that leaned on him OR chopped his nuts off.

They are NOT running a scam. They are picking up the pieces that were left from these idiots that "rescued" the horse. They gave back the money that people donated DIRECTLY to them for the idiots to get this surgury done.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

4. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

To clarify, I do not think the vet is running a scam.
    I might not agree with keeping this horse alive to use as an experiment, but I do not think the vet is running a scam.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I am glad to hear that.

Deeper is better.
    Though I must say, if that is deeper that must mean there was almost none to start with.

If he is not going to be put down (which I think is the right answer here), it is good to know that he is at least getting better care and not being pimped out as money source.

5. Alsosusieq2

At this point in this thread - it's none of our worries or business anymore. It's no longer a charity. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong though. It appears an owner has him under their wing and in a competent veterinary clinics care. That's enough for me.

6. Varisha

Varisha Senior Member

So just because it is no longer in a 'charities' hands, we should not be be worried about the horse?

PureTrouble, ginster and Trubandloki like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Nooo..didn't mean it that way. It was an open book before and now well, he's privately owned. That's all I meant. Before we had the right to know, now we're curious but it's not public record.

8. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

I believe the "hoof" is merely calloused skin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I could totally buy the skin getting so calloused from all the "prosthetics" that it darkened.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't think there is any need to worry about a horse once it is in responsible hands. And it sounds like this horse now is in responsible hands.

But it doesn't matter what anyone thinks at this point. The new owner has made the decision that s/he's not going to share the horse's progress with the public. And as the person paying the bills, s/he does have that right.

And think about it. Many people will displace all the suspicion and distrust of the former 'owner'....onto the new owner. Why? Because the previous owner appears to have gotten off scott free with no repercussions. This case has attracted a lot of people who know nothing about horses, and others who will simply assume the new owner is as bad as the last.

The new owner won't be given a moment's peace, no matter how well she handles the horse.

My own thought is that the former owner was probably given an ultimatum by local agency and told that she has to relinquish the horse, and the local agency found someone. The horse was deprived of appropriate medical care (or as an alternative, euthanasia) for over a year. That's animal cruelty, no matter how many plastic socks and ace bandages she put on the horse.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

You know what? It really is disgusting that that horse had to stand on that for a year.

Really.

How exactly does someone do that? How does that person sleep at night? Look someone in the face? Ever?

But yes it's pretty clear that a picture from the front could look very deceptive.

DelP likes this.