Another controversial rescue case

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Whoa, Sep 10, 2015.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I don't know what to think of a vet clinic as involved in this as they are. They have let this guy live with a bone infection since September 2015. He is looking more alert now and is very probably getting better care than he had ever before.
    I am still of the opinion that it would be better to humanely euthanize him and not treat him like a guinnea pig for what is possible in horse leg prosthetics.
    Also-I do believe this is Caleb since the head looks so very similar to older pictures. I am just confused by this picture....

2. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Well, I'm simply relieved that the horse is no longer with the original pair. He's privately owned and as long as the new owners aren't out begging for bucks on his behalf, I'm willing to remain relieved. Although I truly don't understand why the hell anyone would want to go through the cost and hassle of maintaining an untrained full-size HORSE with a prosthetic leg and a chronic bone infection.

As for the two who started this - I hope they're being investigated very thoroughly.

ginster and Varisha like this.
  3. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

@ginster

Thus vet has been involved since late October 2016 when the 'rescue' group decided to consult with a foreign vet who would do surgery at Delaney's. They are not the original vets.

4. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

It sort of adds to my concern, since they are also the vet that thought it was OK to lean on the poor thing while it was sedated. And who calls that deeply bedded?

I agree, I am relieved that those scammers do not have him anymore.
    I would guess the reason this vet clinic and the benefactor are moving forward is that if this works they can be just amazing wonderful people. If it fails then nothing lost, because there are enough bleeding hearts that think it is OK to keep this horse like this.

Aren't they the same vet that gelded him and leaned on his rump while he was sedated?

Varisha likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

I'm sure they are. And I'm sure that if there is any deception, they're not responsible for it.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't see any reason to hold that against the vet or the clinic. I don't think a human leaning on a horse's rump in any fashion, for a few moments, would harm any horse, even Caleb.

Leaning on the animal in that way while standing up is just not going to transfer that much weight to the horse - we even did physics problems in college that showed how little weight is actually transferred at such angles. The bulk of the man's weight is still supported by his own legs.

I think this is one of the problems with the internet - that things like this get repeated over and over without thinking them through or considering if they really are abusive. It's just assumed that this is some sort of horrible, despicable action on the part of the vet.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

No one knows what the X-rays showed? Really? We've been through this before. What planet do you live on?

Chester, D_BaldStockings and Varisha like this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

No.

It is NOT the same Vet clinic or the same vet who preformed the gelding procedure.

I also said the bedding was DEEPER than it has been previously. which was reassuring to see.

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

This reminds me of the game where a short sentence is passed on in a group of people - the last person generally has it absolutely different than the first statement. Oh well.

hamerface likes this.
  10. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Telephone!
    That game always showed that it's best to have an answering machine than let someone take down the message.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.