Another case of starving horses/misuse of donations

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Whoa, Oct 2, 2016.

1. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

2. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Makes one wonder who actually paid for the education of the physician and the attorney, doesn’t it? The backs of these poor horses, I could imagine.

3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I suspect their degrees were paid for long before the cheese slid off of Karen's cracker, or she was in charge of the organization. She's an RN and her ex-husband may also be a well-paid professional. Or maybe her daughters took out loans for their graduate degrees.

4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Well, one sure can wonder. I have zero tolerance for people who, maybe when they started, had good intentions but it all went to hell in a hand basket when the money starts coming in. 800,000 is a lot of money in just one year. Or they get in over their heads and it’s usually the “rescued” who suffer.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  5. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Background: Sussman, Karen Ann was born on January 11, 1947 in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, United States.
    Education Diploma in nursing, Temple University, 1967.
    Career Critical care nurse Scottsdale (Arizona) Memorial Hospital, 1974-1989. President International Society for the Protection of Mustangs & Burros, since 1989. Private practice piano instructor, Scottsdale, 1976-1989.

(Omitted being a nurse in South Dakota)

SUSSMAN,KAREN A 09 GS $65,007.00 $0.00 INDIAN HEALTH SERVICE EAGLE BUTTE NURSE 2015
    SUSSMAN,KAREN A 09 GS $65,655.00 $0.00 DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES EAGLE BUTTE NURSE 2016
    SUSSMAN,KAREN A 09 GS $66,323.00 $0.00 DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES EAGLE BUTTE NURSE 2017
    Name Agency Division Station Job State County Plan - Grade Salary Award
    Sussman Karen A Department Of Health And Human Services Indian Health Service Eagle Butte Nurse South Dakota Dewey GS - 09 $51,903 NA (no idea what year)

Daughter of Leonard Wilhelm and Theresa Emma (Schmidt) Kuntz.
    Divorced; children: Jennifer Lynne, Amy Nicole.
    father: Leonard Wilhelm Kuntz
    mother: Theresa Emma (Schmidt) Kuntz
    child: Jennifer Lynne Sussman
    child: Amy Nicole Sussman

6. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Man sues troubled wild horse sanctuary in South Dakota

The Rapid City Journal reports that John Fine filed a lawsuit Aug. 29 against nonprofit International Society for the Protection of Mustangs and Burros and Karen Sussman, the society's president.

South Dakota ranch saves, nurtures unwanted mustangs

• By ANN HEISENFELT Associated Press
    • Jun 15, 2007

Sussman, a petite, blonde 60-year-old woman, is a registered nurse who still works one weekend each month at a hospital in Eagle Butte.

Scroll down to the bottom and cast your eyes upon the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote Karen uses. Hubris.

ISPMB Needs Our Help

7. billz

billz Full Member

So, with all of the night mares out there, can anyone recommend a reputable adoption program? I'd be very interested in a Mustang but I might look at any other centrally located programs. Jus' sayin, lot's of poor badly run programs but if'n I was in the market for a needy horse,...

I just found Re-Ride Quarter Horse Adoption in Marysville, OH, and, of course, the BLM Mustang program. I'll be checking out both of these programs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  8. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

What area are you looking at, generally? Do you have a mileage limit? Any particular kind of horse? And you have to be able to assess your own skills in training, or the trainer to whom you would send an untrained horse, or an unhandled one.

Of course at this time of year you could find a perfectly suitable, nicely trained older horse for very, very little money.

9. billz

billz Full Member

CoffeeBean:

I have started several horses in the past and would be completing all the training myself. I feel completely capable to handle any level of horse and am most interested in a Mustang because they need to be saved more than most. However, I am open saving anyone that needs saving. I am 6'3" and weigh 220#s so I would prefer a larger/taller horse that can pack me safely without issue or strain. I will be riding western exclusively.

I am 250 miles from the Mustang adoption center in Ewing, IL and there will be an event in Lexington, KY next June that is about 50 miles from my home. Since I'm not in any type of hurry, I may wait until next year. My inquiry about the reputation of a program was to discern those which are doing a good job as opposed to those that are "fly-by-night."

Thank you for your questions,

Regards,
    Bill Z

Alsosusieq2 and CoffeeBean like this.
  10. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Oh good, that makes it a lot easier.

Really and truly the best way to figure out a good charity/rescue from the bad ones is to go there in person, more than once and get their 990's. Three minimum, more if possible. If they are too small to file a real 990, ask to see their books/give an accounting of how much money is donated and how it's spent. Not the names of their donors - but to convince you it's spent wisely and well. Plus ask about how many animals come in during the course of a year and how many leave and HOW they leave. Euthanasia isn't necessarily bad - but if they try to hide the fact and the method, that makes me suspicious. If sold to new owners how many have returned during the lifetime of the charity.

I do hope you find one you like. Pictures, please.

Alsosusieq2 and billz like this.