Another case of starving horses/misuse of donations

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Whoa, Oct 2, 2016.

1. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Well, apparently the man who owns the land has put it up for sale (I don't think Sussman owns it - I could have sworn that somewhere along the line I tripped over his name. Maybe he just gave her a ton of money) and now people are worried that with her 18 months of observation ended, she's going to take the horses somewhere else and let them breed like crazy again.

Here's the 2016 990.

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/946/946169422/946169422_201612_990.pdf

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Whoops. My mistake. Anyway, she's trying to sell the land for over $600,000.

From salvation to starvation: How a wild horse crusader's dream went bad

“It makes you want to cry, because you know they are free,” she was quoted as saying in an Indian Country Today story in 2000.

The Amiottes felt like crying, too, but for a different reason. According to Asta Amiotte, Sussman fell so far behind on lease payments that within a few years, the ISPMB owed the Amiottes about $14,000.

Asta, a no-nonsense ranch woman, watched in aggravated wonder as Sussman exercised no apparent control over the breeding of the horses. It was clear to Asta that the animals would eventually multiply to unsustainable numbers.

“She wouldn’t listen,” Amiotte said in a recent interview. “Anybody with any common sense knows that if you run cattle or you have prairie dogs or coyotes or lions or whatever it is, you have to manage them.”

With the Amiotte partnership broken beyond repair, public records show that Sussman used about $255,000 in 2003 to acquire a 665-acre, privately owned ranch near the unincorporated community of Lantry on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation, in north-central South Dakota about 150 miles northeast of the Amiotte ranch. Sussman moved into a doublewide trailer on her new ranch, which would serve double duty as her home and the headquarters of the ISPMB.

In later years, Sussman sometimes received pasture-rent payments from the ISPMB for allowing the organization's horses to graze her land. The annual amounts ranged from $12,000 to $24,000. The rent was paid in addition to Sussman's annual compensation, which ranged from zero some years to as much as $41,000 in other years."

3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Okay, does anybody know anything more than this blurb about the Wild Horses of America Registry? Is it even a thing anymore? If so, how much $$ could it possibly pull in?

Wild Horses of America Registry
    International Society for the Protection of Mustangs and Burros
    PO Box 55
    Lantry, SD 57636
    Email: ispmb@lakotanetwork.com (Karen Sussman)

Offers Wild Horse and Burro Diary. Acceptability of registration is not based on blood lines, color or conformation. Currently, all freezemarked wild horses and burros from BLM and from the White Sands Missile Range are accepted. Foals not freezemarked will be accepted if conception occurred in the wild prior to capture as determined by the mares capture date and foal birth date. Any offspring of a mare, stallion, jenny or jack already registered in this registry will be accepted.

The ISPMB is active in the rescue and rehabilitation of BLM Mustangs and Burros through their Operation Wild Horse and Burro Rescue program. The rescue group stays in contact with the auction houses in the State of Arizona. Whenever a BLM Mustang or Burro is put up for auction, the group purchases the animal, brings them back to the ISPMB facility, rehabilitates the animal and finds and adoptive and/or permanent home. These animals are also used to rehabilitate young and old people alike through the ISPMB Volunteer program. They are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. They produce a quarterly newsletter through funds raised by donations. The donations are also used to feed the current herd and purchase auctioned animals.

4. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

She must be delusional.

https://images.landandfarm.com/imgs4/a0/aa/04/Brochure_fa3b.pdf (it shows John Fine's name [owner?] on the map). It's also being listed as the Fine Ranch.

661.48 acres | Pasture/Ranch for Sale | Dewey County, SD | Land And Fa

• $775,000
    • 661.48 acres
    International Society for the Preservation of Mustangs and Burros working to re-home, manage 800 horses after vet found neglect on its South Dakota ranch

"According to the Dewey County register of deeds office, in 2012, a lien was released from the property. Stambach said that lien was for money owed for hay. Also in 2012, the title of the property was transferred from Sussman's name to John Christopher Fine, who lives in New York."

I don't think I saw this back when it was a hot topic. Posting it here may be a good reminder to all of us to look very closely at a charity before giving them money.

http://files.courthousenews.com/2016/10/05/Starved Horse Documentation.pdf

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  5. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

6. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

7. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I took a look at the adoption form. I would sooner jump off the Golden Gate Bridge than share MY social security number with Karen A. Sussman!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

WHO DOES THAT?! Seriously.

Alsosusieq2 and CoffeeBean like this.
  9. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Well, at least two shady horse rescues that have been discussed on this site. Maybe more.

I haven't looked into the following organization BUT I am VERY pleased that they are committed to financial transparency. They do NOT ask for an applicant's SSN either. So as far as I'm concerned, if they require your SSN, then they're shady. YMMV!

About Save a Forgotten Equine horse rescue | Save a Forgotten Equine (SAFE)
    Financial Disclosures | Save a Forgotten Equine (SAFE)

10. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

The spell has been broken for Christopher Fine.

Failed wild-horse sanctuary loses ranch, gets sued

To no one's surprise on this board - she has done a runner.